Need Soft synth advice

Naghorvik_Soran

I have recently decided to make the switch from hardware to software synths i was thinking of starting with reason 2.0 simply because of its all in one aproach. But my question is does the malstrom and subtractor stand up to something like a Korg MS200
or any other good anolog box? Is the Orkestor sound library any good is it individual playable patches ie: string brass percussion
or is it all loops? How does reason compare to something like Reaktor or Absynth? your impyt would be greatly apreciated

They do stand up very well to hardware synths. Especially the Malström, which is totally cool, and can generate some pretty unique sounds.

Reaktor is a very low-level modular, and is probably the most flexible synthesizer around, all categories. It's also a pain to use. :)

Reason is lacking HD recording and MIDI outs. Otherwise it has it all, and is deasy to use at the same time.

Absynth is totally unique. Not much of anything sounds like it or works like it. Reason does not sound as quite as good as good hardware synths. But it's still the shit! I'd recommend reason2, absynth and fm7. Those are my favorites. But there's no way I'd sell the hardware for em.

Well, those are two completely different programs. Absynth sounds like no other synth and the way that you can program it is very unique. It has a very distinct sound, and it lends itself to rythmic soundsapes and all sorts of sounds that defy description.

Reason on the other hand is more unique than any other music program available. It is a complete, virtual, self contained electronic music studio, complete with mixer, 909 style drum machine, analog style sequencer, 2 very cool synths, 2 killer samplers, a full range of effects, a loop player.... Basically, all you need. The sound is so slightly less than hardware that it's hard to tell. But it's all self contained, meaning you can't record directly into it. Although you can make sample banks from anything you record, with "refill". And there's a ton of sample libraries out there, some commercial, and some free.
I would definitely suggest reason first. Get absynth too if you can. And FM7... They're all very cool, and about 1/20th of what they would cost as hardware.

Back