Need quiet laptop for vocal booth

RobinGoddard

Hi,

Given the limitations I have, I’m planning to set up a vocal booth using a walk-in closet in my apartment. My main PC is at the opposite end of the main room so I was thinking of buying and using a laptop to record with in the closet/booth but of course, there’s fan noise to worry about. I’ve looked up other responses here and they said to buy or build a box frame for the unit and pillow it to muffle the sound. That would be a pain though whenever I’m trying to retake something.

But what about things like tablets and ultrabooks? Are they noisy let alone good for DAW recording? My regular PC runs on Windows 7 and most of the ultrabooks I’m finding run on Windows 8. Also, their niche is ‘touch-screen’, so I’m wondering if they can be mouse operated in any way? Or is there actually a laptop out there that's quiet enough?

Sounds like I might have to do the box frame thing in the end…but any suggestions?

Robin

Yes.

There HAS to be a better solution than building a "vocal booth" in your closet. Don't do it.

And even if you do, why do you just not use a long mic lead back to your main PC and a headphone extension cord - you don't need another PC to achieve this end. Can't you organise a click count in at the appropriate place and just walk back over into the closet and sing?

You can paypal me half the money I've just saved you, if you like...:D

Yes.

There HAS to be a better solution than building a "vocal booth" in your closet. Don't do it.

And even if you do, why do you just not use a long mic lead back to your main PC and a headphone extension cord - you don't need another PC to achieve this end. Can't you organise a click count in at the appropriate place and just walk back over into the closet and sing?

You can paypal me half the money I've just saved you, if you like...:D

Yep, I think we've all gone through a phase where a closet vocal booth seems like a good idea, but it really isn't for a number of reasons.

We're not here to discourage you though, so id you do decide to do it, Armistice's advice is golden.

I could never record vocals in a closet, for a start I wave my arms around when I sing in the studio.

Alan.

P.S I suppose singing in a closet with you arms by your side would be a bit like Irish Dancing :facepalm:

First, what's the matter with your main room for recording vocals? Acoustic treatment is probably needed - and this serves not only to make a better recording environment but a better mixing room as well.
As has already been referred to - closets make bad recording spaces. In general small rooms make bad recording spaces.
All the bad online informaton about vocal booths has proliferated a whole industry of 'cheap portable' booths that more than likely waste people's money.

Even a blanket tent will give you better sound than your closet. Set up 2x4s in a pattern to give yourself an approx 5x7x6' space and hang blankets to absorb sound (be sure to put one overhead). It's def not ideal, but better than sweaters and hat boxes.

the new macbook pros have solid state hard drives. I use that, really quite :)

They are pretty quiet, but my retina MBP with a SSD still has a fan that can make quite a bit of noise during heavy projects.

Here's proof.

They are pretty quiet, but my retina MBP with a SSD still has a fan that can make quite a bit of noise during heavy projects.

Here's proof.

Right when mixing down heavy projects...not when tracking a VO. And anyways who cares if it makes some noise when mixing down?!?

I got a Macbook Pro with a quad i7 core, 2.4ghz and 8gb of ram, refurbished from the apple site...saved 500$ and it works so well!

Arcaxis:
why do you just not use a long mic lead back to your main PC and a headphone extension cord - you don't need another PC to achieve this end. Can't you organise a click count in at the appropriate place and just walk back over into the closet and sing?

You can paypal me half the money I've just saved you, if you like...

I'd add to the suggestion above:

Just get a cheap Android Tablet with SplashTop Remote, and remote control your existing computer that way.

You can put the money we just saved you into room treatment.

Back