Need opinons about my room treatment choices

Soulgolem

Hey everyone, I searched a lot on this forum for info about sound absortion and I know almost everything I need to know for my studio room.

It's an 12 by 8 feet room that has a nasty spring echo that I need to get rid of.

At first I wanted what we call here OC 703, but it's hard to find around here, then I read about Roxul Rockboard as being an alternative, they have many models, I don't know which one I should use, Rockboard 40 ? 60 ?

I guess I'm gonna get a couple of panels, can I use the same model for both wall and bass trap treamtent ? How many is good enough, is more always better ?

Do I have to cover them in cloth and leave space between them and the wall ? Seems like it will make the room feel smaller if I do so.

I would really appreciate help as I might be going to the store that is said to carry them tomorrow afternoon.

Francis.

The first thing is that you can use roxul or you can use oc or you can use a number of other things. In a room that is 8 by 12 you are going to have some pretty nasty modes going on. First, more is not always better. There is a reason why recording studios are not anechoic chambers, they need to have a little bit of life to them. That being said, if the life that your room has is terrible, then you might want to get rid of it, but you should start by putting in enough absorption to tame the modes and then re-evaluate whether you need more or not.

Second, general absorption and bass traps usually use the same materials, but the construction is different, especially if you are wanting some kind of a resonating bass trap. If you are just going to be making moveable panels, bass traps are a little less feasible.

Is your room really rectangular? If so, can you do a little construction on it? That would help enormously. If not, then make your panels the kind with absorption on one side and a reflective surface on the other so that you can manipulate even more of your rooms acoustics. Anyway, that is about all I can do for now, any additional information on your room, placement of instrumets, etc. would be helpful.

Floor/ceiling reflections are hard to tame too, a couple of throw rugs and a cloud should be worth considering along with the walls.

Hi, thanks for the help guys, I'll be considering covering some of the ceiling too.

Ripthorn, I can't really modify the room shape, but I will try what you suggested.

I have an additional question I forgot to include, is it necessary to build a wood frame around the material or can I just wrap the stuff in a cloth and hang it with a spacer to leave space between it and the wall ?

Small rooms require proportionately more broadband bass control than larger ones. I'd want a minimum of 6-8 4" thick (min) panels straddling corners and on the rear wall behind your seating position.

For the mineral wool, if you're going to do 6" thick panels, then you can get by with the 2.5lb density material.

For reflections, the 2.5lb in 2" thickness will work great.

Bryan

The wood frame depends on the material. If you go with straight mineral wool, you will need a frame because the material is flimsy. If you go with oc, you can just wrap it in fabric (though maybe some sort of hanging plate on the back might be nice to ensure that an accidental bump doesn't damage the stuff).

Back