need new saddles for my les paul

after being setup multiple times half step down and back to standard by different techs, my les paul studio has so many little notches cut in the saddles, they wont stay in the grooves anymore, and when i restring i dont know which ones to put them in.

so i think i want the graphtech saddles, and i dont know if i want

these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....aver-Gibson-ABR1TuneOMatic-Saddles?sku=365800

or

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....mall-Posts-with-Graph-Tech-Saddles?sku=300219

ultimately want the guitar to stay in tune much better than it already does.

if i have a 2007 les paul studio, which bridge would i want? would that one fit?

1. Fire your tech. There is no reason to be re-slotting saddles for set-ups.

2. Your bridge is not an ABR-1, it is a "Nashville." The replacement bridge will probably fit your posts.

3. The bridge is not a likely cause of tuning problems, but the graphite saddles will result in a warmer/darker sound.

1. Fire your tech. There is no reason to be re-slotting saddles for set-ups.
Indeed!
2. Your bridge is not an ABR-1, it is a "Nashville." The replacement bridge will probably fit your posts.
Yep = remember Graphtec only make 2 styles of TOM bridge (4 or 6mm), so just check your post size (they'll either be biggish with a slot on top, or small with a thumbwheel type thing under) and it should fit no worries. Musicians Friend stocks both types.
3. The bridge is not a likely cause of tuning problems, but the graphite saddles will result in a warmer/darker sound.
True that the bridge is unlikely to be the cause of your tuning problems (unless the aforementioned "techs" have really done a number on it)... but in my experience, the graphtec saddles actually impart a brighter, zingy-er and generally more pleasant tone than the metal ones. Well, to me at least (especially if you're replacing a lower quality bridge). Not dull by any means, anyway.

I've put them on a quite a few instruments now and would recommend them over pretty much anything for a few reasons:

- You will break far less strings at the bridge. I've never broken a string when using them (so far) but I guess you can't say "never" really

- The graphtec saddles let the strings slide over them, instead of catching on the string winds like the metal ones do, so tuning up is extra smooth (and I guess, to some extent, more accurate because of it). I was really taken with this!

- Graphtec saddles won't rust. Looks aside, this will be a boon further down the track - when it comes time to re-do your intonation, you won't have to contend with saddles that have rusted to the intonation screws.

Just my 2c though, it's your $100. The tone-pro's stud locking is nice too, if you don't believe the hype about bridge/body coupling (which I do), you'll still love that your bridge won't fall off when restringing.

The Tone Pros stuff is pretty cool anyway. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's plausible, and while most of the time I may change one string at a time, it's nice to not have to worry if I'm cleaning my fretboard or something.

Its a Gibson.;)
100% true, I bought a 2008 (the last run of the standard standards) and it's pretty shoddy for the RRP. Sounds right but sheesh.

And I'll stand by the "bridge falling off" being a positive feature, I have to take all the strings off a guitar when I need to clean/crown/polish the frets and board. You have to move guitars around sometimes during this process and yes sometimes you can forget they do just fall off. :(

100% true, I bought a 2008 (the last run of the standard standards) and it's pretty shoddy for the RRP. Sounds right but sheesh.

And I'll stand by the "bridge falling off" being a positive feature, I have to take all the strings off a guitar when I need to clean/crown/polish the frets and board. You have to move guitars around sometimes during this process and yes sometimes you can forget they do just fall off. :(

No, sometimes when you are working on a guitar you remember to keep tools, parts, sharp objects, corners, bits of the guitar that are detached, miscellaneous objects, away from the work area when you are working. It helps keep from damaging the guitar and kind of becomes a habit after thirty years of doing it day in and day out. There is no need to have a bridge or tailpiece that remains attached to the guitar when string are not.;)

Back