Need more inputs for my Mbox 2

Chrisdb

Alright guys,

I need some help with my Pro Tools set up. The thing is I have an Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE. I have begun setting up my own studio as I would like to record an album within the next year.

Problem is as you know the Mbox 2 only has two inputs, and for my main recordings I want to be recording acoustic guitar and vocals being played together. I have found it very difficult trying to get a nice sound from my Acoustic guitar with only one mic, it is a very nice and expensive guitar so I really would like to have at least two mics available to record my acoustic and one for my vocals.

Firstly is it possible to have the DI input and mic input recording at the same time?

Secondly if not what can I do to get more inputs? Can I buy just any mixer to put before the MBox? Or do I need something more specific as I have been told that not much is compatible with Digidesign products.

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers guys

as im sure alot of others on this site have had to deal with this issue. myself being one of them. there are many ways too combat this problem. the simplest being, record the guitar first thenvocals later. 2nd, buy a mixer and run mics through that. the problem with this is that you wont be able to mix the tracks separately so the source sounds have to be great.3rd buy a different input device, or an Sib.

hope that helps

as im sure alot of others on this site have had to deal with this issue. myself being one of them. there are many ways too combat this problem. the simplest being, record the guitar first thenvocals later. 2nd, buy a mixer and run mics through that. the problem with this is that you wont be able to mix the tracks separately so the source sounds have to be great.3rd buy a different input device, or an Sib.

hope that helps

Pretty much.

The D.I. and Mic inputs can't run at the same time, as you'll notice on the
interface itself, you have to choose one or the other. Also, both the D.I. input 1
and mic input 1 on the mbox both translate to "In 1" in Pro Tools. So even
if you could run the two at the same time on the interface, Pro Tools would
take them as one signal.

For LE, I think the next step up would be to look for a DIGI 00(1,2,3) if you
want more inputs.

Ah I thought that about the DI and mic inputs, recording the vocals separate is not an option for me, I much prefer doing both at the same time for a better performance. What is a Sib? and whats the a DIGI 00(1,2,3)? I'm not familiar with these products.

Thanks

Ah I thought that about the DI and mic inputs, recording the vocals separate is not an option for me, I much prefer doing both at the same time for a better performance. What is a Sib? and whats the a DIGI 00(1,2,3)? I'm not familiar with these products.

Thanks

DIGI 003 (latest one), although you might be able to pick up a digi 002 or
a digi 001 on ebay for cheap. They're interfaces for PT LE (more expensive but
worth the money if you're serious enough about tracking at home IMO).

Search around doooood :D

Your mbox actually has the capacity for 4 simlutaneous inputs - but only 2 of those are analogue! So what you need - if you want to stay using the mbox - is to buy 1 or 2 channels of mic preamp, and an analogue to digital converter that will output S/PDIF (a digital format). You may or may not be able to find a box that does both preamp and digital convetion, I'm not sure..

for my main recordings I want to be recording acoustic guitar and vocals being played together.

Why not setup a click track and record yourself playing the guitar using the 2 inputs.

Once you have a good 'take' you can record your vox and this way you have complete control over both the GT & vox for 'tuning', editing or drop ins.

You can also concentrate more on what you are playing / singing at the time.

I have over 24 inputs and and several very nice Martins and that is the way I do it.

But thats just my solution not necessarily THE solution for you :-)

What is it with my ISP today?
These previous posts weren't there a second ago - disregard what I just said (although it is what I would do).

Ah man, the cost of the Digi 003 is ridiculous, even the older ones are expensive as hell, especially here in the U.K. Is there really no other way to do this? Take it you cant have two Mbox's runing at the same time can you? Because my flatmate has one also. It's so frustrating being so limited and not being able to do anything about it. Surely there is a simpler solution :confused:

Ah man, the cost of the Digi 003 is ridiculous, even the older ones are expensive as hell, especially here in the U.K. Is there really no other way to do this? Take it you cant have two Mbox's runing at the same time can you? Because my flatmate has one also. It's so frustrating being so limited and not being able to do anything about it. Surely there is a simpler solution :confused:

You could also look for a 002 or a 001 (cheaper). Look for the rack versions. The
controller versions (that look like a mixer) are much more expensive, and the
only real added bonus is that you can control Pro Tools with a more hands-on
approach as opposed to using a keyboard and mouse. Waste of extra cash IMO.

Unfortunately you cant run two MBox's at the same time. Pretty much all of
your possible solutions have been posted above. Sorry dude

The 001 is a bad move as it won't run with newer versions of Pro Tools.

Look at something like the M-Audio DMP-3 (along the lines of what MessianicDreams was suggesting), and run that to your Mbox 2.

The 001 is a bad move as it won't run with newer versions of Pro Tools.

Look at something like the M-Audio DMP-3 (along the lines of what MessianicDreams was suggesting), and run that to your Mbox 2.

Would that work with Pro Tools LE though? Im a bit confused about what MessianDreams said, I'm still reasonably new to this. How exactly would these connect to the Mbox? the 000's also. Like if I bought a M-Audio Dmp-3 or an 002 where would I go from there?

Would that work with Pro Tools LE though? Im a bit confused about what MessianDreams said, I'm still reasonably new to this. How exactly would these connect to the Mbox? the 000's also. Like if I bought a M-Audio Dmp-3 or an 002 where would I go from there?

Think of a 002/003 like a bigger Mbox. It's a Pro Tools LE interface, hooks up via
usb/firewire, and has more inputs/outputs (and a few other features if I
remember correctly).

On the other hand, your Mbox 2 has 2 analog inputs (mic/line/di) and two
digital inputs (s/pdif). You can plug 2 mics into the two analog inputs on your
mbox. Then find a 2-channel mic preamp that will has 2 digital
s/pdif outputs. You can plug 2 mics into that, then connect it to your mbox
via s/pdif. In your pro tools mixer you can have tracks coming in 'In 1', 'In 2',
'S/PDIF 1' and 'S/PDIF 2' if ya get me.

Think of a 002/003 like a bigger Mbox. It's a Pro Tools LE interface, hooks up via
usb/firewire, and has more inputs/outputs (and a few other features if I
remember correctly).

On the other hand, your Mbox 2 has 2 analog inputs (mic/line/di) and two
digital inputs (s/pdif). You can plug 2 mics into the two analog inputs on your
mbox. Then find a 2-channel mic preamp that will has 2 digital
s/pdif outputs. You can plug 2 mics into that, then connect it to your mbox
via s/pdif. In your pro tools mixer you can have tracks coming in 'In 1', 'In 2',
'S/PDIF 1' and 'S/PDIF 2' if ya get me.

Yea I think I get you now, so the 002 should work no trouble right? But what about say the M-Audio Dmp-3, that doesn't have an S/PDIF output does it? so it won't work? Or perhaps I'd have to buy a converter? Are they're any preamps that do the conversion automatically.

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to understand what all my options are, as I am very eager to get my studio set up.

Yea I think I get you now, so the 002 should work no trouble right? But what about say the M-Audio Dmp-3, that doesn't have an S/PDIF output does it? so it won't work? Or perhaps I'd have to buy a converter? Are they're any preamps that do the conversion automatically.

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to understand what all my options are, as I am very eager to get my studio set up.

No the M-Audio Dmp-3 doesn't have S/PDIF outputs, but if you can find an
interface that does, you're sorted. An interface with S/PDIF outputs will convert
the analog input signal to digital on its way out of the S/PDIF outputs automatically (S/PDIF
is a digital format), and once it's digitized, it will enter your mbox as a digital
signal so there will be no need for more conversion.

Just to make sure that you're not confused, you can either go for the 002/003
option OR the pre-amp with s/pdif output option. You won't need both.

Don't apologise for questions, they're a part of the board :D

No the M-Audio Dmp-3 doesn't have S/PDIF outputs, but if you can find an
interface that does, you're sorted. An interface with S/PDIF outputs will convert
the analog input signal to digital on its way out of the S/PDIF outputs automatically (S/PDIF
is a digital format), and once it's digitized, it will enter your mbox as a digital
signal so there will be no need for more conversion.

Just to make sure that you're not confused, you can either go for the 002/003
option OR the pre-amp with s/pdif output option. You won't need both.

Don't apologise for questions, they're a part of the board :D

Ah right I understand now. Well I've been watching some 002's on ebay but they still go for a lot of money don't think I can afford one. So I'll most like have to go for a Pre Amp, can anyone recommend one? With at least two inputs that go to S/PDIF? I'm having trouble finding any. Might have to make a new thread for this question. Any recommendations? Hopefully at a good price :confused:

Ooops sorry for recommending the DMP3 - I wrongly thought it had SPDIF outputs, I'll remember to check stuff in future.

No worries, one more thing. Does the 002 hook up to the Mbox or if I bought one would it just replace the Mbox?

Ah right I understand now. Well I've been watching some 002's on ebay but they still go for a lot of money don't think I can afford one. So I'll most like have to go for a Pre Amp, can anyone recommend one? With at least two inputs that go to S/PDIF? I'm having trouble finding any. Might have to make a new thread for this question. Any recommendations? Hopefully at a good price :confused:

this dbx tube preamp is supposed to sound quite good AND has s/pdif outputs. It's cheaper than a 002 as well ;) there's a few out there, you've just got to look!

Back