Need Mic Pre Advice

MoBettaBlues

I am currently using my Digi -002R Pre's to record primarily guitar cabinet and acoustic. Some vocals will be recorded as well as drums, although very seldom.

I am in the process of getting some more mics that are mainly to record my amp and I am wondering if I am going to wish I had a different mic pre. I'd like to be able to use 4 mics at a time.

What mic pre will give me very good results in a modest price range?

Evenif it's i.e. 2 DMP3's to get the 4 pres. I don't know where to start.

If my -002R's will serve me well that's great. I'm selling a few things (Marshall Head, 1x12 De-Tuned Cabinet) and jumping through some hoops to get the mics I want and if I need to plan for a pre I want to do it now so I am not delayed.

The mics I am getting are:
Beyer 160
MD421
SM57

I have:
Studio Projects B1
MXL 604
E609S (May sell)

Thanks for helping me plan.

So are you saying the -002R pres will not cut it?

This looks very interesting. I'd say $900 will be at the high end of my budget. I don't realy have a budget but I do know what "target" is obtainable.

This ZZsounds pre for $79, was that meant to be a joke?

Reggie said:
If your budget was $79, then no. If your budget is $900, then yes.

Don't get me wrong, $400 would be much more doable right now, but I don't want to regret not spending more, within reason.

If I could get something fior $400 that would give me great results I would get it. If I have to wait a little while and spend $500 more to get much better results that will not leave me wishing I had waited I'd rather do that.

So what about the Digi pre's?

MoBettaBlues said:
Don't get me wrong, $400 would be much more doable right now, but I don't want to regret not spending more, within reason.

If I could get something fior $400 that would give me great results I would get it. If I have to wait a little while and spend $500 more to get much better results that will not leave me wishing I had waited I'd rather do that.

So what about the Digi pre's?

400? Isn't a Groove Tube Brick for sale in the sale forums here for under 500 right now?

edit- even better, make it $325.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=200425

it doesn't do 4 at a time tho it appears.

That Sytek would be great, but what about getting an Octane or Octopre - yes it's 8 pres and not the four you need, but it allows you to expand eventually and use more mics...Just a thought - and you can get an Octane or Octopre used for around 4.

Jacob

I think jkokura may be on the right track. Presonus makes the digimax LT which is 24bit 48khz (you don't need the didmax 96 because the adat on the 002 will only go up to 48khz anyways) It has 8 mic pre's (MUCH better than the 002's pre's) with an adat lightpipe output. This means instead of having 4 mic pre's you would have 12 mic pre's !!!! 8 of which would be really clean pre's. You can't expect digidesign to put good pre's in a unit like the 002 which has a million and one features for a rather small price. The mic pre's in the 002 are ok at best. Either the presonus digimax LT or maybe the octopre (though personally I think presonus pre's are a million times better) Hope this helps!

Hollowdan said:
I think jkokura may be on the right track. Presonus makes the digimax LT which is 24bit 48khz (you don't need the didmax 96 because the adat on the 002 will only go up to 48khz anyways) It has 8 mic pre's (MUCH better than the 002's pre's) with an adat lightpipe output. This means instead of having 4 mic pre's you would have 12 mic pre's !!!! 8 of which would be really clean pre's. You can't expect digidesign to put good pre's in a unit like the 002 which has a million and one features for a rather small price. The mic pre's in the 002 are ok at best. Either the presonus digimax LT or maybe the octopre (though personally I think presonus pre's are a million times better) Hope this helps!

The Octane does the same - adat out - it also gives you an M-S Matrix and Instrument ins.

jacob

MoBettaBlues said:
I am currently using my Digi -002R Pre's to record primarily guitar cabinet and acoustic. Some vocals will be recorded as well as drums, although very seldom.

I am in the process of getting some more mics that are mainly to record my amp and I am wondering if I am going to wish I had a different mic pre. I'd like to be able to use 4 mics at a time.

What mic pre will give me very good results in a modest price range?

Evenif it's i.e. 2 DMP3's to get the 4 pres. I don't know where to start.

If my -002R's will serve me well that's great. I'm selling a few things (Marshall Head, 1x12 De-Tuned Cabinet) and jumping through some hoops to get the mics I want and if I need to plan for a pre I want to do it now so I am not delayed.

The mics I am getting are:
Beyer 160
MD421
SM57

I have:
Studio Projects B1
MXL 604
E609S (May sell)

Thanks for helping me plan.

Get 2 dmp3's and learn miking technique. You'll get way more out of that than etching out a couple hundred more bucks extra worth for pre's. You can change the sound much more drasticly for cheaper just by movin' em.

Back