Need Major Help

Sporkmyband

Hello everyone,
I recently, this weekend, began using my Motu 896HD with a Rode NTK mic through a Vintech X73i pre. I was recording my sister who has a very powerful voice and good mic control and the Motu was peaking out like nuts. It was going in the red VERY easily. What am I to do? She tried getting further from the mic and that didn't do anything but add too much room sound in it. I want that close up intimate sound in the mic, but many of the notes are way too loud and peaking. I HATE digital distortion. What am I to do? I also did some tracking of my own vox with the X73i and it was the most incredible sound I have EVER gotten, but the peaks were too much for my poor little Motu to handle. The Motu always records in 24 bit. So I know that isn't the problem. There should be a better way. How do I NOT allow the mic to clip but still make the vocals sound up close? Nothing ruins vocal tracking quite like clipping. I used to track my NTK through my JoeMeek brit channel with the compression almost always engaged. But I don't want to use the JoeMeek on vox all of the time. The Vintech is a much more wonderful sounding pre. What is the answer? (don't say distressor) I can't afford that.
I read that the RNC isn't fast enough to act as a limiter. Is that true? Also it has unbalanced outs. Will that hurt my Motu's balanced connections. PLEASE HELP. I can't live with clipping mics. And if I turn them down too much then the singer can't hear through the phones. THanks everyone.
Sincerely,
Trey Rick

Sporkmyband said:
And if I turn them down too much then the singer can't hear through the phones.

You are not suppose to use the mic pre to give the singer her headphone volume. That is what the mixer and headphone volume control are for.

Get the level so it doesn't clip and tell here to either live with it or buy you a headphone amp.

Back