Need Major Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporkmyband

Hello everyone,
I recently, this weekend, began using my Motu 896HD with a Rode NTK mic through a Vintech X73i pre. I was recording my sister who has a very powerful voice and good mic control and the Motu was peaking out like nuts. It was going in the red VERY easily. What am I to do? She tried getting further from the mic and that didn't do anything but add too much room sound in it. I want that close up intimate sound in the mic, but many of the notes are way too loud and peaking. I HATE digital distortion. What am I to do? I also did some tracking of my own vox with the X73i and it was the most incredible sound I have EVER gotten, but the peaks were too much for my poor little Motu to handle. The Motu always records in 24 bit. So I know that isn't the problem. There should be a better way. How do I NOT allow the mic to clip but still make the vocals sound up close? Nothing ruins vocal tracking quite like clipping. I used to track my NTK through my JoeMeek brit channel with the compression almost always engaged. But I don't want to use the JoeMeek on vox all of the time. The Vintech is a much more wonderful sounding pre. What is the answer? (don't say distressor) I can't afford that.
I read that the RNC isn't fast enough to act as a limiter. Is that true? Also it has unbalanced outs. Will that hurt my Motu's balanced connections. PLEASE HELP. I can't live with clipping mics. And if I turn them down too much then the singer can't hear through the phones. THanks everyone.
Sincerely,
Trey Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back