Need low profile PCI card for recording?

psongman

Hi, I bought this used computer off ebay and it arrived today. It was not the one they showed...which was a tower...this is one of those SFF type. It is an HP D325. Now I went to put my nice M-audio sound card in and it was too big...what gives..the PCI slot is too small?

So, do I have to purchase another high end sound card or rather, are there any I can buy to record my next CD with? I am sure some company makes one as some computers obviously don't come with those bigger PCI slots. I will wait for your expertise before moving on any new hardware. Thanx for listening, hope you can assist me, psongman

Hi, I bought this used computer off ebay and it arrived today. It was not the one they showed...which was a tower...this is one of those SFF type. It is an HP D325. Now I went to put my nice M-audio sound card in and it was too big...what gives..the PCI slot is too small?

I don't know of any low profile PCI cards for pro audio. The only things I've seen that can do low profile are FireWire cards, USB cards, ATA cards, and SoundBlaster crap. Even then, they don't always come with the right backplates for it. Low profile PCI is exceptionally rare.

You could get a low profile FireWire card and use a FireWire audio interface....

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Profile-Port-IEEE-FireWire/dp/B0002XMZOO

HI, thanks for responding. I think the Delta 1010LT will fit, but will wait for others to chime in, hope so, psongman

Hi, still wondering if anyone on the forums has put in or used a pro sound card with a low form factor pci card, so bumpity, bump, bump, psingman

HI, thanks for responding. I think the Delta 1010LT will fit, but will wait for others to chime in, hope so, psongman

A low profile PCI card has to be less than 2.5 inches tall. A Delta 1010LT is at least an inch taller than that. We're not talking about the length of the cards. We're talking about the height. Like I said, if it really has low profile slots, I'm pretty sure your only option is to add a low profile FireWire card and use an external interface.

I don't know of any low profile PCI cards for pro audio. The only things I've seen that can do low profile are FireWire cards, USB cards, ATA cards, and SoundBlaster crap. Even then, they don't always come with the right backplates for it. Low profile PCI is exceptionally rare.

You could get a low profile FireWire card and use a FireWire audio interface....

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Profile-Port-IEEE-FireWire/dp/B0002XMZOO

You just solved my problem. I'm going to use this to hook up a Presonus interface. Thank you! :-)

So, do I have to purchase another high end sound card or rather, are there any I can buy to record my next CD with? I am sure some company makes one as some computers obviously don't come with those bigger PCI slots. I will wait for your expertise before moving on any new hardware. Thanx for listening, hope you can assist me, psongman

I have a DELL here that is just like that...you need a USB interface...no way arround that.

Back