Need interface to go with Great River pre

SpeedKing9

Just assuming that I have a Ferrari of a computer (PC) that has Cubase as the DAW, and plenty of plugins (Waves, etc..) I'm in need of suggestions for additional pieces. I'm not going to be recording drums. This is mainly for personal use, demo'ing songs, and my own personal guitar works. The kind of guitar work, where I will be programming the drums via MIDI.

That said, I'm also not looking for mediocre quality either. At least fairly high quality. Basically, I'm asking for advice on what, as an interface, would go best with a Great River ME-1NV as my mic pre? I don't own one yet, but I've heard nothing but brilliant things about them and I would be using it as my pre for vox, bass, and guitars. I don't have much knowledge on interfaces, so the most I've looked into is a MOTU 828 MKII..is this a good match, or could I do better? As far as budget, whatever the budget allows for a good match for the Great River pre.

Like I said, it's not to be a full blown studio (I mean, I'm probably going to use an old AIWA receiver with NS-10's) and probably going to be using my 57 and 421 for guitars (Mesa/Boogie IIC+, Dual Rectifier, Triaxis) and an AKG 414 for vox and acoustic guitars. But, I would like an excellent sounding pre and an interface to go with it.

Any help would be fantastic.

.............are you serious?................ or is this one of those "if i was rich.." dream sequences? ........................try the echo layla.....i guess you could do the motu though but thats the older model.....i dont see the reason in shelling out so much for the front end of it and then leaving your monitor system up to some aiwa reciever and a pair of ns-10s....help me out here, i dont want to mess with your dream sequence :)

No, it's not a dream sequence, and I'm dead serious. That Great River pre is about $1.1k, and I figure I'd spend a nearly equal amount on an interface. I think I may have been turned on to the Lynx 2 cards -- they look like they would be up my alley.

The aiwa receiver and the NS-10s may be odd, but it's fairly true surprisingly. It's really not as bad as it sounds, especially in a treated room.

Take a look at the RME interfaces. They really are on a different level than Motu, Echo and Maudio. They cost a little more, but not a whole lot. I haven't used a Lynx yet, but I have head good things about them. Personally, I think you are approaching things from the right perspective. By right and only buy once. Who knows when you are going to get better speakers? So if you buy the right other equipment, that stuff can grow with you. PLus, 1000's of great recordings were done with ns10's:D

.......go with the rme...isnt there another one more expensive than that though? apogee or something like that....and look at mercenary audio for a better power amp than just the aiwa reciever

There is plenty of stuff out there that is both better and more expensive than RME. Apogee however doesn't really make a "Soundcard" per say. They specialize in outboard conversion. They do however have a line of stuff that could be used as a "soundcard". Cost just quadrupled though over the RME if you go Apogee.

Back