Need Help...!

TheNewUnknown

Don't be a Pro Tool.
I don't know a whole lot about the anatomy of a speaker, but does a dent in the speaker cone (the little bubble at the base of the speaker) affect the sound dramatically? I found some monitors for sale but the 1" tweeters are completely pushed it. The person selling it says they are only a cover and do not affect the sound at all. Is this true?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
If the tweeter domes are pushed in, then they will have to be replaced. The tweeters actually radiate their sound off the domes. If the domes are misshapen then the acoustic radiation is affected adversely.

Dust covers in the middle of cone midranges and woofers are not so critical, as most of the sound is radiated from the cone, not the hemispherical dust cover.

I disagree.

Some clown brought his 4 year old into a studio where i work, and the little so-and-so grinned a big old grin as he pushed one of the tweeter domes in with his finger. I shouted at him to knock it off and his silly father intervened and said it was 'natural curiosity'.

After they left I fired up the speakers in question but couldn't tell any diff in sound. I even went so far as to put on a blindfold and have my assistant physically switch the speakers and couldn't tell which one had the pushed in tweeter dome...

Zaphod B said:
Then you both need to get your hearing checked for high-frequency loss!
Whatever you do for a living, I'm a freelance recording engineer who wants to know how sharp his tools are. I get a quarterly hearing exam and wear earplugs in any environment in which I will be subjected to more than half an hour of +85dB sound.

Anything else?

ssscientist said:
I disagree.

Some clown brought his 4 year old into a studio where i work, and the little so-and-so grinned a big old grin as he pushed one of the tweeter domes in with his finger. I shouted at him to knock it off and his silly father intervened and said it was 'natural curiosity'.

After they left I fired up the speakers in question but couldn't tell any diff in sound. I even went so far as to put on a blindfold and have my assistant physically switch the speakers and couldn't tell which one had the pushed in tweeter dome...

If you don't mind me asking, what studio do you work at?

ssscientist said:
Whatever you do for a living, I'm a freelance recording engineer who wants to know how sharp his tools are. I get a quarterly hearing exam and wear earplugs in any environment in which I will be subjected to more than half an hour of +85dB sound.

Anything else?

I'm a "freelance home recording engineer" - read: I record myself - but I do wear earplugs/earphones when I'm exposed to high noise levels for even short periods of time. I'm trying to limit further loss of my own high-frequency hearing. (So, no, I can't lay claim to particularly good ears.)

Nothing else! :D

Wait, yes there is... ;)

The dome of the tweeter allows the sound of the tweeter to radiate symetrically from the surface of the dome. If the dome is malformed, interference patterns form, which can cause the sound of the tweeter to differ at varying points in the listening field.

That crushed dome will not keep the tweeter from generating high frequencies, but it will affect the response linearity from different listening positions. With a nearfield monitor to which you listen from a fixed position this may not be too important.

Regardless, I would not buy a set of monitors with crushed domes.

Back