need help with vegas problem!!!!!!!

riokk

Hi all,
This is kind of a shot in the dark, my first time at this forum, don't know much about it, just needed some help and this seemed like the best place to go. So here goes...My band records using vegas 4.0 (i think, it is vegas) but that is not too important. The other day i deleted a bunch of sound files for some reason, trying to clean up i guess..stupid. and, when i realized all the files i deleted were the individual tracks for all our over 20 songs i quickly went to the recycle bin and restored all items. Thinking this would make everything ok...was wrong. Now. when i fire up vegas and open a song we have finished i get this msg:

The following file could not be found in the specifed location
what do you want to do

-search for missing file (seached...found nothing)
-specify a new location or replacement file (does nothing)
-recapture media (option not available)
-recapture all off-line media (option not available)
-ignore missing file and leave it off-line
-ignore all missing files...leave off-line.

when i ignore files the song will open up but it will be missing anywhere from one to all the tracks. Where the track should be it says "media off-Line"

so...i basically screwed about two months of work by doing whatever it is i did. What i don't really get is how to, or even what it means if the media as labled as "off-line" what does this mean???and is there anything i can do???

i know the cpu can't find the file but i can see the missing files in the media bin, only i can't do anything with them. Tried everything i can think of, like recapture media etc.

ANY HELP I WOULD LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :) :eek:

If the files are there, then go back into import media and just import them again. The problem is the session file that Vegas attached to the files is in a different location than when you originally put the track in the program. You just need to import them again, and have to set them up again.

yah the files are there, but where is the question. I cannot locate them anywhere in the cpu. the only place they appear is in the media bin at the bottom of the vegas recording window, i can't find the location anywhere in the cpu itself. what does it mean if they are off-line. Like I guess, in the media bin where it lists all the tracks i can play the ones that are online, but the off-line tracks won't play or do anything. its quite confusing, thanks for your help but i believe i tried that and because the tracks are listed as "offline" they can't be imported. I'll give that another go when i get back into the studio though.

riokk said:
yah the files are there, but where is the question. I cannot locate them anywhere in the cpu. the only place they appear is in the media bin at the bottom of the vegas recording window, i can't find the location anywhere in the cpu itself. what does it mean if they are off-line. Like I guess, in the media bin where it lists all the tracks i can play the ones that are online, but the off-line tracks won't play or do anything. its quite confusing, thanks for your help but i believe i tried that and because the tracks are listed as "offline" they can't be imported. I'll give that another go when i get back into the studio though.

First off the files will NEVER be in the CPU, they will be on your harddrive. If you've restored them then they "should" go back to their original locations. Use the search function to locate the files, or try to open the project again and when you get the error message click on "find files" and then right pay attention to the "exact" file extension; this is like the address:where your files are.

hope this helps

First off the files will NEVER be in the CPU, they will be on your harddrive. If you've restored them then they "should" go back to their original locations. Use the search function to locate the files, or try to open the project again and when you get the error message click on "find files" and then right pay attention to the "exact" file extension; this is like the address:where your files are.

"should" is the word to be using, this is what i thought after i restored them. i have checked the hd but nothing. I have tried find files and the search comes up with nothing. don't know whats going on...the only place the files that are "off-line" (can anyone help me with what this term means when refering to tracks???) can be found is in the media bin inside vegas, but because they are"off-line" i can't seem to restore them, I can see them (only in vegas) but cannot do anything with them. :confused:

This one's got me puzzled. I'm going to load some sounds into vegas, save, delete, then restore and see what happens, I'll let you know.

OK, just did this and the file re-appeared from where I had deleted it. Sorry man I don't know what else to tell ya.

hi thane1200, thanks for the attempted help. Yes, very strange, like, the wierd thing is i deleted around 500 or so tracks (yes...stupid) but then restored them which, obviously i thought would, well, restore them. It did restore about 90 percent of the tracks, only that other 10 percent, blamo, gone, i'm so pissed at myself for that, you know, you get a bunch of tunes sounding good then.....gone, might have to just bite the bullet and redo them, makes me very :mad: out of curiosity, we are not hooked up to the internet at out practice space (where the cpu is), could this have anything at all to do with it. The only reason i ask is because of the off line thing.

riokk said:
hi thane1200, thanks for the attempted help. Yes, very strange, like, the wierd thing is i deleted around 500 or so tracks (yes...stupid) but then restored them which, obviously i thought would, well, restore them. It did restore about 90 percent of the tracks, only that other 10 percent, blamo, gone, i'm so pissed at myself for that, you know, you get a bunch of tunes sounding good then.....gone, might have to just bite the bullet and redo them, makes me very :mad: out of curiosity, we are not hooked up to the internet at out practice space (where the cpu is), could this have anything at all to do with it. The only reason i ask is because of the off line thing.

off line i believe means that vegas cant find the file and that is what it calls it.
windows recycle bin is only a certain size (maybe a couple hundred megs or a certain percentage of your harddrive space) and anything you delete over that amount will be permanently deleted that is what it sounds like to me, that is why you cant get the files back.
i dont use vegas very much but i use acid and i know that acid saves a config file in the same directory along side the audio (i believe that is why you are still seeing the file in the vegas directory, from the config file)

Back