Need Help With This Mix/Master

lethalastro

Hello guys. My name is Renardo and I could really use you guys advice around here. I need the experience of your ears to critique this mix. I mixed the song, and tried to master it. It sounded good on most systems, but i know it can be better. I think it would be better if i let some else master my songs from now on. But anyway, i would really appreciate it if you guys can help me out and tell me what needs to be fixed. Thank you and have a great day.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=304491
the song is called Bootaaae!!!

Astro,
All fine except the synth riff is really boring after the 5th repetition. You need to either do a little dub with it in the mix to bring it in & out for freshness, change synth voices OR write a part 2 to the riff.
Why the censored lyrics? I'd rather hear what you intended rather than the beep or honk.
Lyrically I'd have to hope you were being satirical or ironic.
Cheers
rayC

it was a radio edit ray. other than the synth, what else is up wit it? i think it is squashed and could have been mixed better. sounds like the synth is fighting the vocals a bit too.

that synth is just really aggressive, honestly its kinda harsh and honky and in-your-face. it's also just soooo repetitive.

it's a shame really, cause the vocals sound good and the bass and drum parts sit together quite nicely.

thanx guys, i am currently in the midst of finding someone to remix it for me. lol, i called myself "mastering" the track, ha, i wished. u guys on here have a lot more experience than me, which is y i am currently looking for someone to remix it for me. i'd rather be an artist and producer, not an engineer.

Lethal,
Radio edit - got it. In that case the censoring isn't too bad - if it has to be it has to be. Bummer.
Have you listened to any late 70's jamaican dub reggae? A few of the stylistic moves employed in that era woould lighten up the synth issue - judicoiusly timed dropping it, boosting it, effecting it, going drum'n'bass for a line etc. etc.
The song's pretty up front & the posse vocals come in like a group getting in face so I think it works well.
A bit squished? Don't know - MP3 compression gives a bit of that anyway to my ears.
Getting a pro mix would be good - something to measure your eforts against.
Mind you don't abdicate responsibility for the mix though. It can be a very creative or destructive process & artists/producers really tell the engineer what they want as well as saying NO a lot.
A good engineer can make magic though.
A great engineer just gets paid less than the producer.
Cheers
rayC

thanx for the comments ray. i had mixed the song myself, and tried mastering it, which is a no-no. but i will get a dedicated engineer to mix it for me. i think i have the mixing thing dwon 75%, its just lil things, like precise eqing, that tests my patience.

that was a good mix. everything sounded so well together, and the dynamics are just right. see, thats the type of sound i want, i just dont have the patience to wait til i learn how to do it. i am currently looking into people who can mix my tracks for me.

Back