Need help with this mix - Dystopia

blkdog7

What Pro Tools *****?
Not sure what do with this mix. It's driving me mad.

Do we need to re-record the vox?

Anything good, bad, not right?

The vocals seem to lack presence and want a lot of space that other sounds are taking. Maybe move some of the other elements out of the way with EQ cuts/panning?

Sounds pretty cool.

I might cut down on the reverb and "spaciness" a little, especially later in the song. Maybe use a more straightforward rock-type tone during the middle high points of the song?

After listening some more, some snare would really help. You've got that electronic brush-snare thing, which sounds cool but doesn't really drive the song.

Ok, we worked a lot more on this song. New vocals, less reverb. More guitars. Etc.

Do you think the vocals are too dry now?

What do you think???:

My vote would be somewhere in between the two. The second one sounded a bit too dry, but that may just be because I listened to it right after the first one.

I like the new version a lot. The vox sound really good now, especially during the bridge.

I still think some non-electronic drums would help drive the song, but it works as is.

Many thanks for the input. It has definitely influenced the mix.

Here is what I think is the final mix:

What do you think?

the guitar takes over from the synth too quickly in the intro: a better fade out/in would sound better to me.
The snare sound could be a bit more aggressive.
With all the sonic noodling going on all you need is a driving turbo guitar to be in minor Hawkwind territory.
All of that being said - the song is really good.

good vocals but, a little low in the mix....sort of dry too....
I like the lo-fi vox a lot...nice eq there....also a little low level wise in the mix to me...
guitars sound good to me but a bit loud at the ending....
synth parts are pretty good....
is the bass line synth as well?

pretty cool man...

Did you take the old mixes down? It would be nice to have them for comparison.

It sounds like you added a driving kick drum part? That sounds good. Vocal tone still sounds good too.

Did you take the old mixes down? It would be nice to have them for comparison.

It sounds like you added a driving kick drum part? That sounds good. Vocal tone still sounds good too.

Yes, I did take the old mixes down. D'oh! I'll try putting them back up. Thanks for wanting to listen.

Here is an even newer mix. For now, we are done!:

Haven't heard any of the previous versions, but I think one is very good. Right out of the box, it's a memorable song. No crits.

Good job,
Cheers,

Back