Need Help With Strat and Processor

ZZWave

Hi All,

Been playin keys for awhile and decided to get out my old '86 Fender JAPANESE Squire Strat out of the closet to try and lay down some tracks. I use a few DAW's to record my music. Everything goes thru 2-Mackie 1602's.

Have a few amps but due to neighbors, I can't mic the amps and record that way. Pulled out an old DIGITECH GFX1 TwinTube Preamp/Processor and tryed recording through it. I guess I've changed my music preferences and it just has the metal thrash kinda sound. Too much metal. The Noise Gate is just terrible. I can't get any sustain without it dropping out and it just sounds too trashy and thin.

The guitar is not top of the line, but it does sound very good through an old Fender Sidekick 25 and even a very old Trainor amp. But you have to jack up the volume too much. Again, can't do that.

Since I have been out of the guitar sound scene for so long my question is:
What's should I look for (used and not very expensive) to use to get a decent preamp/processor to get a decent sound with some sustain so I can record (via headphones) into my mixing boards>Daw (computer)?

Just something that is not too noisy, has some punch for chords, sustain for leads and sounds better than the old Digitech GTX1. I would prefer a rack unit as I have no room for pedals.

There aren't very many music stores that carry used equip where I live, so my budjet would probably lead me towards eBay.

Any pointers on what to look for and what to stay away from?

Thanks in advance....Ron

Pod

Firstly, welcome back to the strat!

I'd say go for an original Pod. There has been lots of talk of the new updated models but if you want a simple solution and your on a budget the original is perfect!
You can pick them up off ebay for £50-£75 and they have all the amp modelling you'll ever need!

Check out SOS review http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb99/articles/line6.321.htm

If you're ever unsure about gear SOS are the Daddy's!!

I hope this helps... it did for me.

Thanks Bob for the suggestion on the POD. I see there are many versions of it. What's the difference between the original and VER 2.0?

Also, besides the digital option, the XLR's, why are the rack versions 2-4X the price?

Again, thx
Peace...Ron

Mornin, bb!

I've also recorded alot with a Digitech RP50 ($60) direct, but the presets suck. I had to dig around for decent tones. I got a Line 6 Spider II 15 amp for Christmas that I use for recording direct, too.

apl said:
I've also recorded alot with a Digitech RP50 ($60) direct, but the presets suck. I had to dig around for decent tones

Don't discount the GNX1 completely. I own several digitech products and have found that they do require a bit more work than other processors but if you spend a little time with them you can usually surprise yourself. I feel that with a little time spent on them they can be quite rewarding. I actually have a couple of reverb presets that I'm so happy with that I use them as my master reverb effects when playing back anything I've recorded on my DAW. Honestly, take a little more time dialing an effect in on it and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sansamp GT-2 or POD - either one will give you a good quality signal at a good price (if you buy used). The one thing I've noticed after buying and selling a number of these modellers is that each make and model will have their own sound. So you might want to plan on going through a few before getting the actual make/model you like.

Thanks for all the input. Software is not an option here. Tryed some and did not like the results. The POD's look like the best of the lot, but unfortunately there are no stores around here to actually try them out. As far as comparing the different versions of the used POD's..used gear is not available as I live in a very rural area.
Ebay seems to have alot of them, but I would be limited to the one I buy. Guess I'm kinda stuck on which model to get. Again, thanks for all the help.

Peace..Ron

PS: If anyone has a POD for sale that's a good deal, post up. Guess starting here is best.

I have heard some good guitar sounds via software. Really, the pod and v-amp are also software based with dedicated processing hardware. I would think that you could get very similar results either way. But, for the software route, you will need a di box to make the most of it (otherwise it will be very noisy).

Back