Need help with pedals: wah wah, volume

Feanor IV

Hey guys,

I'm looking for good wah wah and volume pedals... any suggestions please? I'm looking for something GOOD, so I can spend up to 200$ for each pedal, used (still, if there's something good that goes for less money, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world ;)). So a list price up to $250-300. Any ideas? thanks a lot in advance! ;)

two small specific questions:

1. Opinion on Crybaby 535Q? Is it worth its price? It's not a high end thing, I know, but is it ok for the price?
2. Opinion on Steve Vai's Little Alligator volume pedal?

Cheers & wishes for a great christmas time! :)
Menelaos

I have a boss volume pedal that I've had for maybe 10 or 12 years. The thing is great.

For the volume pedal, you can't really do better than the Ernie Ball 6166 Volume Pedal. The things are so darn sturdy that people have actually transplanted the guts of other pedals (like wahs and such) into the EB 6166 frame. I'm not entirely sure that I could manage to break it if I wanted to. Smooth motion, good wide sweep, noiseless operation, and a switch to change it from a linear volume curve to one with an accelerated middle section (the extremes don't change it as much as the middle does).

As to wah, that's kind of a taste thing. I'm personally sick of hearing 535Q's, so I use a Snarling Dogs SuperBawl Whine-O (say that 10 times fast). Is capable of both more mellow and more extreme sounds than a 535Q, can take on several different characteristics, and has a really wide sweep range (the voxes and crybabies are WAY too narrow for my taste). I've also heard really good things about the Fulltone Clyde wahs, but have never personally played through one.

Procreezy said:
You should check out Morley Pedals They're all really nice and they have a great variety!
I don't really like their Wahs. But I love the sound of Little Alligator. Does anyone have any opinion on the particular pedal? I'm between that and EB6166 actually........ unless any other better choice arrives ;)

Well, with volume pedals, it really comes down to whether you like their feel or not. The "best" volume pedal is one that doesn't really have any characteristic sound, but rather keeps the sound clean, just as it comes from the guitar.

I already mentioned the 6166, but just to add to that. I needed a second volume pedal for my board (one before the preamp and one in the effects loop), and I looked around thinking there might be a better one. I ended up getting the smaller version of the 6166 (called the VP Jr.)

I can literally stand on either of these EB pedals with my full weight (155lbs) and have absolutely no concern that I might be doing any damage to them.

yeah, well, I want something that's built to last. I live in Greece so I can't afford shipping the broken down pedals to the states once every year..... :( I think the EB6166 is the one for me?

That's just perfect. That decides it I guess. I've heard only good things about this one, so I'll go with that ;) Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful! :D

hmmm, I am going to try it one of these days, but I'm not really into its sound... :( Although I might change my mind when I use it myself ;)

I guess one of the first questions in your search for a wah is do you want a switched or switchless wah? You may already know, but in case you don't...

A switchless wah is one that is springloaded to be kept all the way in the heel position. As soon as you start putting pressure on it, the wah effect turns on and gets controlled by the motion. When you release the pedal, it automatically turns off again.

A switched wah is one that has a switch that is activated by applying extra pressure once the pedal is all the way forward (toe postion). Activating the switch again turns the wah back off.

Some pedals are made in both configurations, some only in one configuration, and some others like the Weeping Demon can be switched back and forth between the two different methods.

I've tried or owned MANY different Wahs. FOR ME the best by a far piece is the Fulltone Clyde Wah. Extremely vocal sounding. Had a Bad Horsie, and for me the problem was that it had a fairly narrow throw, and you couldn't use it as a tone pot. With a manual switch Wah, you can turn it on and leave the pedal at a set position to achieve a set tonality. Much more difficult to do with an optical switch. Just my $0.02

i have an ibanez weeping demon wah...as i couldnt decide which wah i wanted.

this thing can be guitar or bass wah, has adjustable "Q" ,volume and sweep and can be switchless or switch operated.

I use the Ernie Ball Volume pedal that keeps getting mentioned (for obvious reasons). Also, when I shopped for my wah, I wanted something quite original in sound that still sparked my fancy, and I ended up going with a CryBaby Bass wah. The thing is quite versatile and sounds incredible.

Procreezy said:
You should check out Morley Pedals They're all really nice and they have a great variety!
I'm also a morley fan. They make some nice volume and nice wah pedals. Steve vai seems to like them as well. I think they also are buffered and can work well before the amp or in the loop. Just about whereever you want them.

Back