Need Help With Mixing Of Song

punkjaso

Right Click Save As...

http://tinyurl.com/zhf38

This is a rough mix of one of my band's new songs and there's some stuff that I think needs to be fixed/critiqued.

So here are my thoughts:

The first thing is that this song goes on for too long probably. It's 6:51

Up to 2:37 the song is pretty solid and follows a death cab esque style after that is when things start to build up and get rocky.

Tell me if you guys like the lazer noise thing that comes in at 2:37. I think it
sound ridiculous and completly out of context of the song but my band loves it.
Also the guitar at 3:40 I think should of been acoustic, but my band once again thought one distortion and acoustic would be better.

At 4:10 everything pretty much explodes and there's multiple melodies going off which causes the mix to be very muddy and get annoying.
This is probably the most frustrating part of the song for mixing. It gives me a headache.

*We need to record the drums too as the drummer gets off time and I don't think the beat is working too well on this song.

First reaction, wow your not afraid of reverb are you ? :)

The vocals are a little back in the mix, I think your reverb is set a little too long, and the reverb trail sorta clouds things a bit too much.

Laser thingy would be cooler if you automated it to pan around from side to side.

Kick and bass are masking each other, neither cut through the mix very well. Maybe try rolling off some of the bass on the bass, and compressing them each a bit.

The hihat is messed, it almost sounds panned center... should be off to either side representing the position of an actual drum kit.

I only listened once and im playing online poker, so i might not know what im talking about :P

GOOD LUCK

I really like this! Not digging the "laser" stuff so much but the reverb works real well for me. The tune is catchy and the synth at the end fits in really well with the piano. Interestingly, from 4:10 on is my favorite part, with all the different melody lines cooperating and harmonizing to fill in the (sound spectrum I guess you might call it?) I think it really works here. I do agree with you that the electric is a little out of place, but I like the chorus so much I don't mind that part of the instrumentation. Great job! Can you let me know if you guys do end up making a new version?

I haven't posted here for a while, but I listened to this. BTW, its usually easier to just post a link to your song, then listeners don't have to download it. But about the song, it has a good sound overall. I think I hear some distortion near the beginning when the synth starts in. Also, mabe a bit too much reverb on the vox. The acoustic doesn't sit really well, not quite playing in time or something, too my ears. And the drums also, snare sounds a bit off time, lagging a bit. This can all be fixed by editing or if need be retracking. But the song is good, just needs some tweaking.

Back