Need help with mixer connections

godsmack_freak

Here's my equipment:

Behringer MX602A mixer (I know, I know)
Audiophile 24/96 Soundcard
Fostex PS 3.1 Monitor system

I'm not sure how all of this should be connected, I don't actually have anything but the mixer yet. The rest has been ordered. Anyway Here's the way I think it should be connected but I just want to make sure it's right, or if there is a better way.

Mixer> Tape outs connected to line ins of soundcard

Soundcard> Line outs connected to tape ins of mixer

Mixer> Main outs to line ins of Fostex Power amp

Is this the right way? Or is there a better way?

Also what exactly are the CTRL Room outs on my mixer for?

Any help will be much appreciated.

I am not familiar with your specific equipment. A lot, however, has to do with how and what you are recording (solo parts one at a time, an entire band, etc.).

In general, you probably want to route the Direct Outs from each "live" channel into your sound card (assuming your mixer has Direct Outs). This will allow you to get a solo track of each instrument/vocal. If your mixer does not have direct outs, you can accomplish this using the Channel Inserts. So Direct Out from Channel 1 goes to your sound card input 1, Direct Out from Channel 2 goes to sound card input 2. Then set up your recording software so that track 1 input is Sound Card Input 1 (usually left), and track 2 is Sound Card Input 2 (right), and so on. You can do as many tracks simultaneously as you have inputs in your sound card.

The way you are proposing to record (tape outs) will blend everything being recorded onto a single track. So if you are recording bass and drums, they will be on the same track. Generally this is not desirable. This would only work if you record one thing at a time (or if you record two things with one panned hard left and one panned hard right).

The Control Room out connections are for routing speakers to your Control Room. This gives you seperate control over the speakers in the control room versus the speakers in your recording area so you can listen while someone is recording. If you only have a single set of speakers you probably won't have use for the control outs.

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying but the only outs I have on this mixer are Tape out, main out, ctrl room out and aux send.
This is a very small 6 channel mixer with very few options. Given what I have what is the best way to connect it?

I had that same question at the begining of summer. I have that berringer and I use it to hook into a cubasis card. You need to mess around with the 2tk to control room, and 2trk to mix buttons. I don't remember the setup I had (I use a different setup now) but it can be done. Try and search for the thread. I don't know how long they keep old threads around.

Back