Need Help With Decisions

systmovadown

Right after I get out of my choice of an audio engineering school in college,
I will be running a studio of my own with a friend who will be in charge of the equipment funds and such.

I was thinking of, for a start, 3 delta 1010's linked together to make 24 tracks.
but i'm stuck with what mixer to get, mackie or something.

then, have the pro tools m-powered (since it's compatible with it)

unless there are other "cheaper and better" suggestions
i'm open to any suggestions.

I'm looking for at least 24 tracks of simultaneous recording and a decent mixer to back it up with.

i already have a powerhouse pc running (p4 3.2ghz, 2 gigs ram, 2 80 gigs)

I see by your information that you are 17 years old. That means that you will be 21 or 22 years old by the time you graduate from an audio engineering school, assuming it is a four year program. In that four or five years technology will change substantially, and there will be many new products on the market. Your "powerhouse" computer and the audio interfaces you mention in your post will be obsolete.

Far better to wait until the time of your graduation and choose your gear based on your needs then.

Hopefully you might be able to get an internship/gig after you graduate and not have to pay for anything.

A studio can be a real money pit, IMHO it's better to save up for the equipment that you want in the end rather than getting all fuckbuggered and throwing good money after bad.

systmovadown said:
Right after I get out of my choice of an audio engineering school in college,
I will be running a studio of my own with a friend who will be in charge of the equipment funds and such.

I was thinking of, for a start, 3 delta 1010's linked together to make 24 tracks.
but i'm stuck with what mixer to get, mackie or something.

then, have the pro tools m-powered (since it's compatible with it)

unless there are other "cheaper and better" suggestions
i'm open to any suggestions.

I'm looking for at least 24 tracks of simultaneous recording and a decent mixer to back it up with.

i already have a powerhouse pc running (p4 3.2ghz, 2 gigs ram, 2 80 gigs)

Why is it that you think you need to record 24 tracks at the same time? I'm not saying you won't but I would think it would be a very rare occasion. You might be better off getting 8 channels of quality AD conversion and skip the budget gear.

thanks.

most of the bands that ive recorded
have gone over 8 tracks just for drums
(i record mostly metal bands with 2 mics for bass drum)
and most of them would have averaging 3-6 toms
plus room mics

I agree completly with the responses here, and would like to add another reason for sying that you are asking the question too early: by the time you get out of school you'll probably have answered most of these questions for yourself in a way much more personally tailored to your needs and tastes than us strangers could do for you.

G.

FALKEN said:
skip school and use the tuition to get a 2" and a decent console.

School is a great way to meet contacts in the business that you wouldn't have access to otherwise (in addition to having access to pro gear and experience that might not be possible otherwise).

Use your time wisely ...

Back