need help with complicated midi setup

samrisio

i have a midiman 2X2 and a new emu0404 soundcard with midi in and out (not installed yet) how would i integrate all my gear and will i need the 4X4? if so how do i hook it all up assuming i have a midisport 4X4..a yamaha P200 piano controlling a motif es rack..triton extreme, korg dr880 drum machine and a roland xv2020 module? i have a behringer mixer and krk powered monitors as well...any help in putting this together is appreciated!

You call that a complicated setup? Four modules and a controller? I've been using a setup like that for twenty years now --- and at times it was complicated by many more than four modules.

If you have a non-laptop computer PCI would be the way to go, and it's not hard or dangerous to install a PCI card if you take the proper steps with the anti-static wrist strap and the usual stuff like unplugging the machine before you start to work on it.

Once you get the card installed (and it IS big enough for your purpose) it needs to be recognized by your operating system. Just drop the CD that came with the card into the drive and follow the instructions.

Plug the midi out of the P200 into in # one of the interface, then make two chains --- the first starting at midi out # one with the Motif's midi in, then chain the korg (or is it Roland?) DR880 from the Motif's midi thru. Then repeat the process with the Triton and the Roland sound module, starting with midi out # 2 and using the midi thru of the Triton into the Roland module. Now you'll need to make sure no midi channels are duplicated - set the Motif for 1 thru 12 and the 880 13 thru 16, then set the Triton to receive on 1 - 8 and the 2020 on 9 thru 16.

Then, with the addition of some midi recording software you will be all set. Let me know when you're ready for my recommendations on that front...

not hard cause youre a scientistsss

but not that easy for me..i think i would rather have seperate midi in and out, no? at least for the major keys..wouldnt a 4X4 or 8X8 be easier? and why do you recommend the triton from 1-8 and the P200 from 1-12? make sense? thanks for helping

Instead of buying a 4x4, you could just add another 2x2 and save money. However, if you plan on adding modules or keys soon go with the 4x4 or 8x8. Actually if I was to setup your rig as ssscientist recommended, I would setup the DR-880 for Ch.10 only (It is a drum module, and Ch.10 is Global Percussion Channel under GM spec), and set the Motif for all channels (And simply not use Ch.10 on the MOTIF or you could use Ch.10, and Mute the DR880, or not mute the DR-880 and add it with the MOTIF for ultra fat layered percusssion). I would suggest if you upgrade your interface, that you look into something that gives you standalone patching capabilities too.

Atterion said:
I I would setup the DR-880 for Ch.10 only (It is a drum module, and Ch.10 is Global Percussion Channel under GM spec)
That Roland DR-880 has bass sounds and is multimbral --- that was the reason I recommended it be spread over four channels...

samrisio said:
i think i would rather have seperate midi in and out, no?
The setup described above will give you a separate midi in (from the P200) and uses both midi outs in the way that makes the most sense.

It sounds to me like you're viewing this as something you're not equipped to conquer --- you seem convinced that throwing more money at the problem will make it easier to get your system going.

You have everything you need now --- just take a deep breath and follow the instructions that came with the PCI card to install it. Then try the setup that I suggested above and try Atterion's modifications. You'll be amazed at how easy this midi thing is once you get past the normal setup.

And ssscientist is just my HR handle - I'm just a schlub who's been around midi stuff for a long time, so don't think I'm important or smarter than you or anything...

Back