Need help with an MD4.

nay

My MD4 has been great for 2 years now. UNTIL TODAY! I tried to eject the disk and it gave me "Disc Locked." So I read the troublshooting in the manual and it says that "Press TOC Write." I did that. Still gives me disc locked. Anyone else have a disc locked in their recorder?! Seems that the MD4 thinks the TOC is messed up on the disc. I've tried recording and updating the TOC no luck any ideas?

Nay, Nay, Nay:]

I have the MD8; suggest you trade in your MD-4 and get the 8 track and avoid bouncing stuff.

But, as to you question.... There is NO TOC WRITE button my the MD-8; I just have to depress the STOP button and the table of contents will write.

Why your box locks-up? I don't know. Maybe try pushing the Stop button?

Or, as much as I hate to do this myself, get Yamaha on their site and cite them your problem. Maybe your gear is defective?

Green Hornet

My MD4 is about the same age and did the same thing. Called Yamaha, they said it's a common problem -- drive needs to be replaced. It's not covered under warranty. A cynic would say it's "designed in". After the $65 estimate fee (refundable if you go for the repair), $80 an hour in labor, the part, plus shipping, I haven't decided yet whether it's worth the fix. Green Hornet may be right, maybe time to upgrade. I'd like to get more than 2 years out of my equipment though so I'm thinking about the Fostex instead.

PS --none of the independent repair shops listed on Yamaha's site in the NY area wanted to touch the thing.

FIXED IT!!!!!!!!

I beat on the damn thing till it opened. Now it works just fine. ehheh.. although I don't recommend that approach. It did work.

Dragon should put up an autoresponder to every message about problems with anything.
"Beat the hell out of it, if that doesnt work, throw it away"

Nay- Sell it while it still works!

Yeah I know...

Nilbog I like your idea... and I would've had a Fostex D-108 but all the money that was going for that is now going to tuition (hope I get a good enough job to make up for that). The MD4's great for just simple riff recording real quick or simple acoustic arrangements. I've recorded bands bounced them down and all that but it gets really rough with only 4 tracks.

Yea Verily Bretheren:

As I've said before, ALWAYS BUY AT LEAST 8 TRACKS; buy more tracks if you need them; avoid bouncing unless you're into the PC sophisticated gear that does everything.

And, always buy NEW GEAR and avoid having a GNU on your hands. [except if you are buying from a close friend and even those I don't trust too much.]

Have a Coor's Day.

Green Hornet
PS Kelly -- I do use Bayer!!:]

Well Nay, I took a page out of your repair manual -- now I have a dead puppy on my hands.

TKO

Anyone know, if I get an MD8 can I slave the four channels of the MD4 to it even if the drive doesn't work? It'd be about a reason to give Yamaha another shot.

Dunno

Sorry to hear bout your pup. As far as slaving an md4...
it doesn't support slaving (as far as I know) but if the MD8 had a MIDI out (I dunno if it does) run it to the MD4 in... and use the midi clock sync thingy. All that would do though is let you start recording and playing at the same time... stuff like that... which I guess is what you want. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about all this! Good luck Factor...

nay

Back