Need help with a preamp and compressor selection.

Jackrip

Alright well, I am a hiphop artist, and I am just going to be recording vocals, and I have a Groove Tubes GT 55 Condenser Mic, and I got the Tascam US-122 soundcard.

I actually had the PreSonus Tubepre at one point, but return it got a all in one unit(preamp, compressor and eq) but I am quickly realizing that the all in one units arent as good as seperate units.

I was just gonna go out and get the PreSonus tubepre again, but I was searching the internet and found out about the Studio Projects VTB-1. I know that the PreSonus is proven, and I can vouche for it, but I heard nothing but good thing about the VTB-1. In the reviews of the tubepre, some people even said to get the VTB-1 instead. I am torn, which one should I go for? I am looking for clear and crisp vocals with some thickness to them.

Now about the compressor, I heard goods things about the Alesis 3630, but its two channels and all I really need is one, but if its the best at the price I might just get it regardless, is there one like it with one channel? or any recommendations on a good compressor around the price of the Alesis 3630?

Would you rather have two channels of decent, or one channel of shit on a stick?

And if you haven't heard of the RNC, then you might try typing the following term in to this thing we call the search function: RNC

Good luck.

chessrock, you've mentioned in previous threads that you've used the MIndprint Envoice MkII. I just picked one up and I can't say enough good things about it. Is it just a well-kept secret or what... why not more buzz about the Envoice? I think it sounds fantastic.

BTW-I didn't get the DI-MOD add-on, just running it analog into my soundcard (E-MU 1616m).

David Katauskas said:
The M-Audio Tampa is a preamp with a compressor built in...me likey. :)
You need to shave, dude..... :D

I have DMP3, and an RNC. Seems to work well for me, but that's all I use, so I can't say anything about other equipement. The DMP3 is good and quiet, and teh RNC works great, for an inexpensive compressor. No noise, and it just does what it's supposed to. Probably lots of things that will work well, so take my advice for just a small piece of the equation.

Can someone link me to a image or a order page for the RNC? I hear alot about it on this site but I never seen or heard of it.

I just wanted to say.. the VTB-1 and Dbx 266xl combination I am usinng is great.. I mean for the price I got them at (250 total) its really giving me quality I wasnt really expecting.. its awesome.

Back