Need help troubleshooting motu 828 firewire original.

jmarques

The Original BeatMinstrel
I recently got a motu 828 firewire(original unit) and gateway laptop unit 1-2 weeks ago so I could go out and record bands outside my project room.

I'm currently unable to resolve problems with playback and record.

The card skips/pauses intermitently when playing back say a mp3 file in winamp.

When recording audio the unit records audio with drop ins and outs. Meaning for every one second I record there is a second of silence. Also the amount time for when this happens is directly related to the size of the audio buffer.

With large audio buffer the audio drops in and out take longer and sound very obvious and bad.

With a short audio buffer the audio drop in and outs are faster. Although it sounds better than the large buffer it still quite noticeable.

Sometimes there is also clicks or clicking in the audio stream and analog activity led has unusual flickering when playing back or recording.

I don't know if this is normal, but one person I talk to says that sometime led flicker when its syncing audio.

My gateway 600 YGR laptop is:
Window XP pro service pk 2
Pentium M 2.2 ghz
1/2 gig ram

There were some known problems with laptop heatsink comming loose and power adapter problems, but these things have been repaired and I'm no longer having any problems with the actual laptop anymore. Works Great!! :D

I've used builtin firewire on laptop, but a friend I talk who has same card suggest trying a different firewire card. So I bought one tonight tried and has same problem as the built firewire.

I've bought 2 sets of new firewire cable and problem remains.

I've tried adjusting audio buffer setting for the short and largest amount. This is not solving the problem.

I've downloaded window xp pro update for firewire problem known to XP pro service pack 2, but nothing has changed.

I've check IRQ conflicts there are none.

I've played around with PCI latency this doesn't seem to fix it.

I used professional cards before and have a friend with identical unit, but all conventional troubleshooting wisdom doesn't seem to apply.

I've tried googling for days now and tried motu tech support and database and I'm still unable to find the solution.

I'm planning letting a friend test the unit since he has the exact same model working on a desktop. Perhap the motu card is broken or screwed up?

The guy I bought it off ebay indicated no problems in the listing so I've no reason to believe it's broken, but I email and I'm waiting for a response.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Ok after testing ASIO Multimedia Setup for cubase SX. I've found a mode that seem to have stop the motu from losing sync.

Under the Gobal Settings:
->Synce Reference
-->DMA Block - Output

Seems to have relieve some playback problems. No skipping so far in Winamp. Yey! :D

It's late for me tonight will have try other stuff tommorrow.

Ok I decide to reinstall everything today, because when I was installing everything on my laptop previously when I was having problems with my power adapter and heatsink.

Since everything with the laptop is fixed I reinstalled everything. It's seems to be working. Even asio driver that come with motu are working.

Ya Baby!! :D

MOTU 828 Mk1 Firewire DropOut PROBLEMS

Hello JMarques
I have been experiencing some of the symptoms that you mentioned in your first post and i have install and reinstall all the drivers and i could not have solved my problem. what i must uninstall, everything? (OS/Drivers/Software)

Thank You , hope you can help me !
Cheers JMarques !:D

Frambu

Back