need help syncing yamaha 02R and Digi002

Foo-bu

I was just wondering how you would go abouts syncing up the yamaha 02R and a Digi002. I'm assuming you'd need to do it with midi time code but I wasn't sure how to set up protools to transmit MTC or how to get the 02r to slave to the digi. the studio i'm doing some work at just recently got the digi and i think they might want me to set stuff up for them.

anyone have any experience doing this or know what would be required?

thanks!

i figured you could do that too but where would you come out of the 002? and how do you set up both systems to transmit/recieve the signal?

i'm new to the 02r so sorry if this seems like a pretty simple question

I have not touchedd a 002 in a long time, but if I remember right, it does not offer word clock, or has to be the master, or something like that. I am sure someone who owns a 002 will chime in soon:) Personally I would try and make the O2R the master if it is the newer 96k version, or the Digi the master if the yamaha is the older one. You should be able to clock through lightpipe or through s/pdif as well.

i've never synced stuff up before with the digi so i'm not sure if it can be done with the lightpipe but i dont think it can. its the older version of the o2r so i'm thinking of making the digi the master. i've read you can send mtc with the digi so i figure there's gotta be a way to set it up somehow

I have yet to find a piece of equipment that can not do some sort of sync reference through the digital connections. The only equipment I am aware of that does not, is equipment that can only be used as the master in a chain. The DIGI may be this way, but the O2R can receive its clocking signal through the optical inputs.

It did just occur to me that we may be talking about a different type of "syncing" here though. I am referring to synchronizing your digital clocking in the converters of the two units to reduce jitter and avoid clicks, pops, etc... Are you referring to the older midi type sync so one interface can control another?

with the 02r you can automate mixes and it uses timecode in order to store memory locations. so i'm hoping to use the digi as the master so that the 02r can recieve the timecode, thus allowing me to do my mixes on there rather than in the box.

as far as i know, what happens is that the yamaha acts as a slave and one it recieves the timecode it uses it to store memory locations of fader movements within the 02rs built in memory. without it being slaved up to something it does not have any clock to reference to. hopefully that makes sense

hopefully that makes sense

No it does not.

There is sync for sample rate, which is set by the master clock and is required for all digital to digital audio connections. Depending on the format, the sync signal can be sent via wordclock or it may be included in the interface format (TDIF and SPDIF both send sample clock).

MTC is Midi Time Code, it is used for syncing old tape machines to sequencers. It has nothing to do with controls

All fader control surfaces/mixers that I know of just send midi CC msgs for fader movements and thats all the 02r will send and respond to

From here:
The 02R does have build in automation and a scene memory system that can provide both dynamic and static mix automation referenced to SMPTE or MIDI timecode.
Pro Tools can be controlled remotely from the 02R using the Pro Tools template of the MIDI Remote function located in one of the 02R's menus. The built in automation is referenced to MTC coming from the Pro Tools system.

I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. Are you wanting to control Pro Tools' transport and/or fader movements from the 02R? Or are you want to control the fader movements from Pro Tools?

If you're trying to get MTC out of Pro Tools look in the Session Setup window under Generator....MTC to Port and then choose a port to send MTC to.
If you're wanting Pro Tools to sync to the 02R's master clock...plug in via S/PDIF or ADAT and tell Pro Tools to receive clock source from those connections under Hardware devices

When you talk about "syncing" two device together, you normally don't mean word clock information being sent. At least I don't. I usually mean using timecode when syncing.

Ok, now I understand more of what you are doing. You will probably need to set up the midi out from the Digi 002 to the midi in on the 02R. The probelm here, which is what i can not help you with, is that you will need to find out exactly how the O2R wants to receive the message, and how the Digi 002 wants to send it. What you are trying to do is possible, and is actually something that was very common years ago. Many of the large format consoles that are still in use today use a very similar method of automation (SSL, Neve etc...) A lot of automation setups for analog consoles use smpte information to cue changes. In this case, smpte is how I would probably want to do it. I wish I could help you further, but this type of communication is very hardware specific and there are many different ways to hook it up, and then totally different ways for devices to go about sending and receiving the information. Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the yamaha or digidesign forums?

altitude909 said:
No it does not.

MTC is Midi Time Code, it is used for syncing old tape machines to sequencers. It has nothing to do with controls

All fader control surfaces/mixers that I know of just send midi CC msgs for fader movements and thats all the 02r will send and respond to

Actually, I believe the yamaha O2R can be set up to recieve either MTC or smpte cues to change scenes which would trigger many various functions.

Back