need help - Son4 records metronome etc on my track

big bird

hi there

how do i stop Son 4 PE from recording the metronome AND duplicating all previous tracks on each new track?

is this my sound card settings or my Sonar settings that are at fault?:confused:

bb

What are your Sonar/Soundcard settings?

If you're duplicating all tracks on a new track, that would seem like a sonar routing issue (including the metronome getting printed to a track).

not sure what my sound card settings are - its a creative audigy 2 ... where should i look on the sonar interface to check its settings - what should i look out for?

thanks

Setting the Metronome and Tempo Settings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The metronome counts off each beat in a measure, so you can hear the tempo of your project. You can choose to have the metronome sound during recording, during playback, or both. When you start recording, SONAR can play any number of beats or measures of metronome clicks before recording begins. This can help you "get in the groove" before you start performing. These beats or measures are called the count-in.

When you create a new project, you should set the metronome to play during the count-in and while recording. If you are adding material to an existing project, you might only need the metronome for the count-in.

You can customize the metronome sound to use audio or any note on a MIDI instrument. By default, SONAR uses a hi-hat cymbal sound from a General MIDI drum kit for the MIDI metronome, but you can change this setting to anything you like by changing the MIDI output, MIDI channel, and duration. You can also choose the note and velocity (volume) to use for the first beat of each measure and for all other beats. The metronome settings are stored separately with each project, so you can use different settings for each one.

Most metronome options can be set in the Metronome toolbar:

If you don't see the Metronome toolbar, use the Views-Toolbars command to open the Toolbars dialog box, and check the Metronome checkbox. The metronome MIDI note parameters must be set in the Metronome Settings dialog box.

Note:
If you are synchronized to an external clock source, you cannot use the count-in feature. For more information, see Synchronizing Your Gear.

To Set the Tempo and Metronome for a New Project
In the Metronome toolbar, select the Metronome during Recording and Metronome during Playback options.
If you want to hear a count-in before recording begins, set the count-in to 1 or more. Select Count-in Measures or Count-in Beats .
Select Use Audio Metronome and/or Use MIDI Metronome .
Arm at least one track.
Press r or click to start recording. The count-in will play, and the Now time will start to advance.
If necessary, stop playback and adjust the tempo using the tempo controls in the toolbar and restart playback. Repeat until the metronome plays the tempo you want.
Press the Spacebar or click to stop recording.
Press w, or click to rewind to the beginning of the piece.
Your tempo and metronome settings are now ready. When you save the project file, the metronome and tempo settings will be saved as well.

To Change Your Metronome Settings
Open the Metronome Settings dialog box in one of the following ways:
Click Metronome Settings in the Metronome toolbar.
Choose Options-Project and click the Metronome tab.
Change the metronome settings as indicated in the following table: To do this...
Do this...
Enable the metronome during playback
Check Playback
Enable the metronome during recording
Check Recording
Enable the count-in
Enter the number of clicks for the count-in in the Count-in box, and select Measures or Beats
Use the audio
Check Use Audio Metronome
Use a MIDI note as the sound
Check Use MIDI Note and choose the output, channel, and other settings

Click OK.
Your metronome settings will be saved with the project file.

To Set the MIDI Metronome Sounds from your MIDI Instrument
Select a track in the Track view that is assigned to the MIDI device you want to use for the metronome sound.
Click Metronome Settings in the Metronome toolbar to open the Project Options dialog box.
Make sure that the settings in the Output and Channel fields match those for the track in the Track view.
Click on the Key box in the First Beat or the Other Beats section.
Play a note on your MIDI instrument. The note number is entered automatically. The velocity is not updated.
Click OK.
Your metronome settings will be saved with the project file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cakewalk
http://www.cakewalk.com
Cakewalk Support
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/

Attachments

• Sonar Metronome.jpg
    Sonar Metronome.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 24
I think if you are duplicating previous tracks onto a new track, isn't that because you haven't disarmed the other tracks? I know I've done that before.

thanks guys for the detailed response - even when i have just one track armed for record - the click records, and the other tracks material also records on to the new track

there must be some dialogue box that controls what information actually gets recorded onto the recording track -

perhaps it is here that i can prevent the metronome from being a recorded instrument - i have I must stress, set the metronome to sound during record but not playback - but there is no option in the metronome toolbar to determine whether or not the metronome gets recorded as an instrument on the track or not

where would i find this dialogue box - the one that lets me control what the recording track "hears" during record?

thanks guys for the detailed response - even when i have just one track armed for record - the click records, and the other tracks material also records on to the new track

there must be some dialogue box that controls what information actually gets recorded onto the recording track -

perhaps it is here that i can prevent the metronome from being a recorded instrument - i have I must stress, set the metronome to sound during record but not playback - but there is no option in the metronome toolbar to determine whether or not the metronome gets recorded as an instrument on the track or not

where would i find this dialogue box - the one that lets me control what the recording track "hears" during record?

Sounds to me like you've got your playback going out to a mixer where it gets mixed in with your new recorded track. If the problem includes previously recorded tracks, then it's not a metronome or set up problem.

What is your hardware configuration?

don't have a mixer, just have direct input into my audigy 2 soundcard - so i'm thinking that there are only 2 possible answers - either its a sound card software setting or a sonar setting that is causing this

i'm still still confused thos as to what it could be

Im not familiar with Sonar 4, but I know Sonar 6 PE has an option when recording to do "sound on sound". This records all new tracks with the other tracks in the new track. Trying making sure you are not set to "sound on sound".

This problem can also be caused if your soundcard is set to record everything that comes out of the headphones as well as what your mic is picking up. I've experienced both of these problems before.

Back