Need help selecting a mac for cubase

I almost laughed when you described your I=mac as being an elderly 2018 model! My NEWEST computer was purchased in Dec 2019! The oldest is my 2010 Dell, and my 2012 ASUS. My audio/video computer is a Lenovo from 2014 (I5-4570). I'm afraid that I'll be upgrading in the next year though thanks to MS.

Reading on various forums, it seems that people complain a lot about Microsoft "breaking" software with OS changes, but from what I see, Apple does this at least as much as MS, maybe more. Win 7 was released in 2009, and Win 10 was 2015, Win 11 was 2021. Not only does MacOS change almost yearly, in the past 15 years, Apple has used PowerPC, Intel and M processors. Something is bound to break along the way.

Such is the price of progress!

Indeed, calling that elderly is maybe a bit of a stretch.
My Dad ran his '08 mini until last year, or maybe the year before and I still have my '09 Mac Pro sitting here that there's really no reason I couldn't be using.
I chose to move to Apple Silicon portable for a number of reasons but the old workhorse still has miles in it.

I'm not sure changes of architecture, or a third party developer ceasing to support something, can be filed under 'apple breaking software'.
Granted architecture changes aren't going to 100% seamless but Rosetta and, more recently, Rosetta 2 made it as close as possible in my experience.

There were certain drivers which required updates from their developers, since that's not what Rosetta does, but I'm not aware of any Intel mac software I was using that didn't just work straight away under Rosetta.
I think they're all Apple Silicon builds now, which is nice, but, to be honest, I wouldn't have noticed either way.

Talking about elderly, I still have a Q9550 box running (win 10) in a cupboard for development stuff - I just looked it up. That's Q1 2008!

My MacBook M1 was 25 months old - the apple shop told me it was now a legacy product and the battery had met the end of its lifespan. They quoted £200 for a new battery (which you can get for about £60, but there's lots of glue chiseling and delicate prising to fit it as it's not user replaceable. There are YouTube videos with about 50% success rate. I figured I'd have it done, so handed it over (this was in belfast). Two days later, they told me there was a video problem too (I actually had spotted this - a feint series of horizontal lines, visible on a black or dark screen. This was another £200. I said sorry, but no - send it back unprepared. The guy said, you want us to return it without fixing it? I said yes. It arrived back WITH a new battery - clearly they'd had to fix that to do the other repair, so I live with the lines and have a good battery.

The killer with Macs is the operating systems won't upgrade past a certain point, and lots of newer software won't work on old software. Bummer!

Yeah that's certainly the downside. If you have any kind of hardware issue outside of your 12 months, or insurance, you're pretty much stuffed.
Thankfully I've never been in that boat but I'm well aware it could happen.

Back