Need help pointing out any flaws because it ain't easy :D

great songwriting phil!
It's very Coelike..which is a good thing. As for the arrangement, I love the whistling and I like the bluesy sounding fills...very outlaw country. I think the bass guitar line is too busy though. The tune calls for more of a "bump bump" country bass instead of the walking bass in my opinion...of course thats really subjective and I realize you've commited to the walking bass part as this point in the process. As far as the mix goes, I really like it. Its raw like the mid 70's outlaw country was....those mixes sounded a lot different than the main stream did. One thing that jumped out at me though is the guitar on the right side, that is doubling the bass line, is a wee bit too loud and a tad too distorted. IMO cleaning it up and bringing it down a hair would make the bass and guitar mesh a lot better.

I have listened to a hundred tons of outlaw country in my time and i think you do a fine job on this style of song. When I first started listening it kind of reminded me of the Coe song "Another pretty country song". I dont know if you are familiar with that one but its one of my favs!
Anyway, great tune phil!

Thanks for the compliments. I listen to all DAC albums lol. I made a compilation of my favorite songs off his 39 studio albums. DAC is my favorite, although I like all the old outlaw country as well. I never really liked country until I heard all the outlaw stuff :D

I'd suggest pulling the lead licks down a little & pushing them over to the side somewhat.
Cool writing.
the drums do sound too busy though.

Now that you mention it, the kick could have way more bottom. It doesn't sound bad the way it is now, but it's all click. It could have way more bottom. I mean, these days, when I record, I've traded in my shaker click for a kick click because I like the bottom that a kick provides. This tune can have way more bottom.

I've said 'way more' three times.

And you said bottom four times. You're obsessed with bottom.

As others have said, the only thing that sticks out as not quite right is the kick. It's a slap rather than a thud. In other words, I'm with dobro about the bottom.

On a good note, I really do like the track - far better than that polished MTV country that makes me want to vomit. :D

Back