need help on this song/mix

hey, i put up a new song on soundclick called grooveville

grooveville

and i'm uncertain about the mix, this might sound just a little too dark. any opinions? vocals have to be added and would require a remix.

very hard to find a good singer btw

I think it sounds pretty good. To me, the bass could come up a little in the mix, as there seems to be space for it, but that would be the only thing I would try at this time. It's just a bit quiet compared to the guitars.

I do like the drony feel to it, and the sounds are pretty cool. Interesting tune.

Ditto the bass. But I'm a bassist. Byased...biased,,whatever.

..I've got a sneakin' suspicion that vocals are gonna matter in this song. :)

cheers dogman and jouni. funny enough the bass was the one element i was most uncertain of, i couldn't make up my mind about having it sit in the background or up front.

here's a remix

grooveville

i raised the level on the bass and also made the drums a tad brighter.

faderbug said:
cheers dogman and jouni. funny enough the bass was the one element i was most uncertain of, i couldn't make up my mind about having it sit in the background or up front.

here's a remix

grooveville

i raised the level on the bass and also made the drums a tad brighter.
I like the remix better...the drony bass gives it a cool vibe, and teh crisper drums fill out a bit more of the sound. Vox will probably change what you do with this mix, but right now, the levels seem pretty good and even.

I like it. Good mix of some really crisp stuff with pads blended in well. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the bass, though. You can hear it fine, sure, but to me it lacks a little bit on the low end and has a bit too much attack. I see your struggle about how much to bring it up... I think the volume is good, but I might EQ it differently. I think you want it to be obviously there, but with the attack, it kind of takes over the whole song. Since it's a MIDI bass (right?), it just doesn't sound quite natural, esp. with the large octave jumps. I'm not sure why, but those give it away as MIDI. I think maybe it's just a bit too clean/pristine.

I love the guitar sounds. :) And the overall concept is awesome. This could be a great movie soundtrack song... the synths in the BG could be brought up just a touch (and I mean just barely). If that was an actual orchestra... dude, that'd be amazing.

What did you make this with?

well johnny, glad you liked it!

the bass however is real, it's an aluminium neck hartke tuned B-d. i play with a plectrum and it's recorded through a behringer bass di. pu is a fender single coil. no eq. actualy everything on this are real instruments 'cept for the BD and the synths in the background. (i suck as a drummer so i need something to hold on too :D )

i record in samplitude and my sound card is a humble delta 44.

thanks for the input!

fader,
Just a little tweak to the bass guitar's & bass drum's bottom end would fill out the bottom.
I like the song - ominous & full of the ghosts of Orwell.
If you have the chance why not exp with an octavor so you get the very bottom & the excellent definition you already have of the bass?
I look forward to hearing more.

clean playing and good editing skills that is :D

rayc, i folowed your advice since the low end was a bit empty but i couldn't fit the octaved bass (?) in. i ended up with recording a second very deep bass and that worked out great!!!

for anyone who's interested :

grooveville

Faderbug,
that really works. I bet it sounds fanmazing as a wave audio file.
This really reminds me a the sombre songs from Joy Division when Hook wasn't going overboard with his bass riffs.
Are you going to put something over the top or are you a bit nervous about matching something to this excellent piece?
Double Plus Good as the ol' Doublespeak would have it.

Back