Need Help Monitoring with Headphones

Let'5_Pick

I can't figure out how to get a monitoring signal through my headphones. Here's my signal chain...

MIC---MIC PREAMP---SOUNDBLASTER---AUDACITY

No matter what I plug my phones into, I can't hear what's coming through the mic. Sorry for being such a retard, but I have no idea how to make this work.

im going to assume you plugged into the headphone jack on your soundblaster.

It is probably something set up wrong with your software. I am not familiar with audicity, but there should be a place where you can set up your soundcards. Make sure the output is going to the soundblaster.

Let'5_Pick said:
I can't figure out how to get a monitoring signal through my headphones. Here's my signal chain...

MIC---MIC PREAMP---SOUNDBLASTER---AUDACITY

No matter what I plug my phones into, I can't hear what's coming through the mic. Sorry for being such a retard, but I have no idea how to make this work.

Is that a "Full-Duplex" soundcard? If not, you won't be able to monitor while recording.

If it is, you need to make sure both your inputs and outputs are routed through it in the Audacity software (I am not familiar with this program, so I don't know how to do this).

Good luck.

Thanks for the help!

There was a setting in Audacity called: "Software Playthrough (Play new track while recording it)"......... Jeez... couldn't get more simple than that. I was too focused on it being a wiring/connection issue...

Now my problem is....... LAG!!! There's a half second delay from what I play to what I hear. Yikes...

Is anyone seriously recording at 192kHz? :confused:

Is there anywhere you can find in Audacity where you can fiddle with 'Buffer Sizes'? Basically if you have a smaller buffer you get lower latency but it places a higher load on your computer. If you can change the settings, try to find a good balance. You need to use ASIO drivers to have a realistic chance of doing this.

Back