Need help matching a stereo mic to a portable MD recorder

Chris F

I'm a long-time minidisc user, but all of my stuff has been home decks and my trusty MD4s for gigs. At this point, I've moved on to DP4, but a lot of my students use portable MD recorders to record themselves practicing (I require them to record). Often, they'll ask me what recorder to get, or what mic to purchase to go with their recorders, and at this point, I'm in over my head.

So...if anyone knows how to match a decent stereo mic with a Sony MZN-707, or where to direct me to some solid information about such matters, I'd be most grateful. I'm not much of an internet whiz and my students are usually strapped for cash (this one says he has a budget of $80), so ideas about how to approach questions such as this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

For cheap, I like Audio-technica AT Pro 24, about $100. For better, I like Sony ECM-MS957, about $250. If you learn how to patch it up, the 957 also is a rather good one point drum overhead, and has a bunch of studio uses. For dirt cheap there are 2 others that you can use- ECMZS90 (which isn't too bad) and ECM-DS70P (which I don't like). The 957 is simply the best I've heard, until you get into higher end phantom powered XLR style mics, which are more studio pieces than remote one point mics. I haven't heard Rode NT-4, but my guess is it is probably a pretty good mic, although a little large.-Richie

Thanks Richard - I'm forwarding the link to this thread to the young gentleman in question. Cheers!

Back