Need Help Identifying the Mic/Audio Problem (Digital Streaming)

NotAnEngineer44

Hello all! I don't know where to turn for help with figuring out what's wrong with the audio of a couple of my Live hosts. Maybe it could be a fun or simple case that you can save me with? You hero you

I'm a producer for a mobile app company that utilizes live voice hosts, streaming audio through microphones connected via USB. (My producing experience is through general acting/hosting, not so much voice.) I am able to produce well controlled audio myself, but there are a few hosts with some audio problems and I don't know how to address the problem or fix. I've attached samples:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1u_23Il4UGH95QWeTULqe5bwV9vto-UWK (attached as Forum Test Audio 1)
This host claims to have the same static/popping problem regardless of their mic used. Is this a connectivity issue? (we live stream). Mic issues? Wiring issue?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12TR2o8pMecdYvjOJrTnvz7qYWaJg_jyd/view?usp=sharing (attached as Forum Audio 2)
This host has a weird buzzing with her primary mic and has had to switch to an inferior backup because of this clicking

Thank you all in advance! Please kindly direct me to a different sub if I'm in the wrong place. You're an incredible human being

Attachments

• Forum Test Audio 1.mp3
    290.9 KB
  • Forum Audio 2-Buzzing.mp3
    446.2 KB
Last edited:
The second one sounds like it might be phone interference. Could be the mic/cable, "superior" or not. Clicking like the first is often some kind of resource issue - trying to push more data across some kind of channel, wired or wireless, than it has bandwidth for, so bits and bytes get dropped. A slow disk on a resource constrained system, where its trying to swap memory-to-disk and vv can also introduce clicks, so the usual optimizations around shutting down everything non-essential, even a/v services, etc. might give the system more breathing room.

My comments - the first recording sounds to me like something is on the track - somewhat like you have a TV Monitor or something - the second one sounds like interference from a USB Connection - or something cutting in to your resources - basically unplug things till it goes away to find it.

The second one sounds like it might be phone interference. Could be the mic/cable, "superior" or not. Clicking like the first is often some kind of resource issue - trying to push more data across some kind of channel, wired or wireless, than it has bandwidth for, so bits and bytes get dropped. A slow disk on a resource constrained system, where its trying to swap memory-to-disk and vv can also introduce clicks, so the usual optimizations around shutting down everything non-essential, even a/v services, etc. might give the system more breathing room.
Thank you so much for your reply!! I finally found the right forum. Apologies for my ignorance and really appreciate your response, you're awesome

My comments - the first recording sounds to me like something is on the track - somewhat like you have a TV Monitor or something - the second one sounds like interference from a USB Connection - or something cutting in to your resources - basically unplug things till it goes away to find it.
Thank you!! This community is awesome. Really REALLY appreciate your help, you're an amazing person and deserve a lifetime of happiness. I love the internet and humankind, thanks to you

It's easy to identify what it is not (and this I think is unique - not a problem we've heard before, and we have heard hundreds)
As you are using USB mics, it's not a cable issue - it works or doesn't work, although some cables do seem prone to being the access point for real interference.
The pulsing nature of the noise, and the regularity suggests that this is data within the computer, but possibly within the microphone. I'm not aware of mics that incorporate buffers within the mic, but the noise is similar to the noise that often circulates inside a PC - as the audio goes in and out of buffers. That said. the repitition is quite slow, so it's a big buffer! Noise within the computer often leaks onto the ground, and this then can travel up the USB cable to the mic where it leaks into the preamp.

Fault finding really requires another mic and another cable to prove by substitution. The mic may not be faulty, just susceptible to cable shield born interference

It's easy to identify what it is not (and this I think is unique - not a problem we've heard before, and we have heard hundreds)
As you are using USB mics, it's not a cable issue - it works or doesn't work, although some cables do seem prone to being the access point for real interference.
The pulsing nature of the noise, and the regularity suggests that this is data within the computer, but possibly within the microphone. I'm not aware of mics that incorporate buffers within the mic, but the noise is similar to the noise that often circulates inside a PC - as the audio goes in and out of buffers. That said. the repitition is quite slow, so it's a big buffer! Noise within the computer often leaks onto the ground, and this then can travel up the USB cable to the mic where it leaks into the preamp.

Fault finding really requires another mic and another cable to prove by substitution. The mic may not be faulty, just susceptible to cable shield born interference
Thank you!! To confirm, this is all for Audio 2?

Back