need help hooking up my audiophile2496?

flexibility

Rane,

The XLR on your mic, cannot feed into the 2496 without first going through a preamp. Probably best served if plugged into your Mixer board, and then have your Mixer send to your 2496.

In all these scenarios you listed, they need to have RCA adapters on them. So, your speakers need a "Y" adapter mini stereo female to two RCA mono males.

Your headphones need a "Y" adapter 1/4" stereo female to two RCA mono males.

NOTE: Stereo female and Mono males.

Apparently you wish to swap wires depending upon what you wish to listen with, i.e. speakers or headphones.

The RCA's get plugged into the Audio OUTS of the 2496.

Lastly, one of the users on here, Ethan Winer, has a website with an article he wrote just for these types of questions. Click the first link (Using a Mixer with a DAW ) http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

if i get, say, an m-audio dmp3 or a presonus mp20 hooked up to the soundcard, will that be ok?

if i did, what would i use to hook up those preamps to teh soundcard?

i really apprecaite the help toddskins; im going over to radioshack right now to get that stuff.

well.....

I suppose you ... well...

What are you wishing to do? If you wish to record your singing all by itself, then I suppose you would plug your Preamped mic directly into the Audio IN of the 2496, but if you are intending to make music, too (are you a guitaist, keyboardist, ?), then your instrument needs to get recorded also. Are you a musician? Apparently you do not own a mixer. What are you doing?

Typically, with cards like the 2496 which can record on 2 channels at the same time (Left & Right), in either Analog or Digital (S/PDIF), you bring your music and singing into the card that way.

Myself, a composer on keyboards, I have many tracks of instruments and record each instrument track (from SONAR software) one track at a time, which takes me several passes before all the sounds are recorded. I happen to be utilizing the MIDI capability of the 2496 and the S/PDIF IN which is working sufficiently for me. After all the sounds (instruments) are recorded, I then edit and mix them within my SONAR software.

There are a few different ways to set yourself up, so it requires more information from you to answer appropriately.

Don't forget to check out Ethan Winer's website (posted above). It will probably answer most of your questions.

thanks again,

and as for your main query, i am a hip hop vocalist, so all i really need is to input my vocals into the card. no composing or anything like that.

anwyays, i think i know what im going to do now, as ive already purchased the adapters and stuff.

btw, adapters dont really hurt teh sound compared to the plug being directly plugged in do they? i know pluggin them in directly is impossible, but im just wondering.

tahnks again

Back