Need help finding good tom Mic

Link

How's it going. I've managed to get all the other sounds on the Drum kit sounding kick ass, But the toms have never sounded quite the way I want them too. I've used a few mics (the one i've been having most success with is the 57) I tried the sennheiser E604's, they were alright, not great, but the mount isn't all that great and hangs over the tom just that little bit too much, and i'm not a big fan of drummers hitting mics. I know AKG make a clip on mic, but I haven't tried that one out yet. I am kinda weary about clip on anything!!! So can anybody help me out finding that Killer tom mic......and while i'm at it, maybe a hi-hat mic too!!!
thanx

A typical tom mic IS the SM57! (so I'd stick with it...)
For hi-hat, if you have good overheads, you shouldn't need anything extra - they'll pick up the bleed. But if you want to close-mic it anyways, any decent small-diaphragm condenser (AT4041 or similar) should do the job....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

And another option....

The Sennheiser 421 is the other most often used tom mic out there, along with the SM-57 like Bruce suggested. I use the 57's because that is what I can afford....:)

I have had really good luck with the 57. If you are not getting a great sound on your toms with it, you might trying experimenting with the mic placement, or possibly, the tuning you are using for the toms is not all that hot.

Good luck.

Ed

-- "I tried the sennheiser E604's, they were alright, not great, but the mount isn't all that great" --

I use the e604 with good results both live and in studio. Just throw away the mount and put the mic on a stand instead. The e604 sound better than the 57 IMHO.

The most important is to make the DRUM sound like you want to. No mic in the world can give you a good drum recording if the drum itself sounds bad.

fimpen
megotart

i use 58's on my high toms and a 57 on the floor tom. the 58's pick up the cymbals in front of my toms better then the 57's in my experience. better sound in the final mix. the 57 gets the ride better along with the floor tom. i have a 57 on the snare and that picks up the high hat just fine. on the occasion of the use of overheads i put one pointing torwards the snare from above and behind and that gets it even better (along with the snare and some toms, the other overhead pointing at the floor tom does the rest).
Jake

Thanx for the help guys. I'll stick with the good ol 57, But I was also told the Rode NT3 is an awesome drum mic, So when I check it out i'll get back to yous

I use sm81's and love them. Also the sm7. I also prefer very little bleed through. That's why i dislike the 421's. Since they are a hyper cardiod, they have a rear lobe pointing directly at cymbals. But that's just me.

Back