Need help finding/creating demon screaming samples

jabulani jonny

Well this is a strange request I know, but I've got a recording that I'm doing for a musical production and I need about a 4 second sample that sounds like multiple demons screaming. I've scoured the internet for wav files and can't find anything that sounds like it. I've got a couple ideas so let me know what you think may work.

I'm thinking of recording several passes of men and women screaming, then run each of those passes through some sort of destructive processing to just make it evil sounding. Any thoughts on where to start as far as plugs?

Another thought was to use midi, but I don't think I'll be able to get the results I want. Thx for the help!!

Jonathan

I would go for the old reverse reverb trick. Record a bunch of voices with long tailing reverbs. Then, play the tracks backwards.

You could run the voices through a pitch transposer and drop them an octave and add some flanger.

I'd start with a group of kindergartners, set up a mic, and say, "Who can scream the loudest!?" then reward them with ice cream. Because we all scream for ice cream.

If you can get someone to scream inwards (kinda like an inward screach) it sounds really good while played with someone screaming normally.
Add reverb n off you go.

Alternatively get a couple of people all to scream at the same time, duplicate and transpose one version play the transposed one backwards and the normal one forwards, add reverb and there ya go lolz.

Don't forget to include non-human sounds-- maybe a hawk or eagle screech, pitch-shifted downward. An old creaky door, or car door that needs oil could help with the attack of the sound. Chop the middle out of a toilet flush, pitch downward, and add a long release for a deep breath/growl sound.

If you mix a few layers of different things together, you'll get something interesting that listeners can't identify easily.

These are awesome suggestions! The hawk suggestion and the creaky door suggestions are winners. I'm gonna couple those with a few people screaming and try reversing, long reverbs and subtractive synthesis to see what I can come up with. If interested I'll post the sample when I get some things laid, for you guys to comment.

Thx,
Jonathan

That will be fun. I did a demona saying "Damian!" I think some of you will know what I'm talking about (Omen?), Anywho, that was fun as shit to do, I recorded myself saying it because for some reason I can talk like a "demon." It's weird I can use like 3 different voices at one time and it sounds pretty cool. When you do mix it, take one of the tracks and get rid of all the high freqs, it will give it a nice rumbling effect, making the demon sound more like a bad ass demon, than say a loser demon like...Satan.

I got a girl I know to scream bloody murder into the mic. Then I dropped the pitch a great deal and used a really short reverb and flanger. Then I did the same thing myself only made the pitch higher and it sounds awesome. I tweaked some other things in there but I honestly can't remember. I just went through a slew of plug ins until I found the perfect match.

i used to use this chorus effect called "another dimension" and lower the pitch and it worked good.

Haven't any of you guys ever heard death metal? :D We do demon voices all the time....

Do it naturally and it sounds best. Pitch shifting ruins it. Do it from the bowels. Then record another track with a hich pitched shriek of the same words/sounds. Works every time. ;) Lots of reverb helps too.

Back