need help deciding....

iravage

hey, I have decided on updating my sound card because i want to do some recording.the sound card i have now is awful. i dont want to spend a lot, so i was thinking of upgrading to the sb live mp3+. the setup would be Guitar to Zoom 505 to line in on sb live, do you think that this would be a good choice? any sugestions or opinions would be a great help,
-Andrew

The SB Live isn't a bad card really, but it's not made for recording either. Whether you will be happy with the results depends on what you are expecting. I'm not completely familiar with the Zoom505, but unless it is made for direct recording like the POD, the guitar sound you get running that direct to most any soundcard isn't going to be that great. If you are looking to just get some guitar tracks recorded on your PC for the least amount of money and hassle, then it will work.

Honeslty, I would at least try it with your current soundcard if you haven't already. Unless you are hearing just a lot of exessive noise in the track, the result you get from upgrading to the SB Live won't be all that different sound wise.

I agree with Jon x. You may consider spending a few extra bucks and purchase a 24-bit card such as the Aardvark LX-6 Direct Pro or the Echo Darla card to name a couple. Even running these cards at 16Bit will produce better sound quality than the SB MP3.
Check out Bayview Pro Audio which has the LX-6 bundled with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 for $345.00

Last edited:
can you guys give me some websites with places i can buy them thiose 24 bit cards? especially the LX6. thanks
andrew

Last edited:
Back