Need help deciding which head to buy...

hybridsound

Hello everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I want to buy a new head/half stack but I don't know which one to buy. I'm in the price range of $1,200 - $2,000. I have a few in mind but I've only played one of them. Here are my options:

Marshall Mode Four (played it)
Marshall TSL100
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Peavy JSX Joe Satriani
Randall Warhead 2

Here's where my problem comes in... I'm looking for an amp that has a great distortion sound but also has a great clean sound. I've played on a lot of heads that have a good distortion but the clean tone is really mid rangey and piercing. I've also played on amps that have a very beautiful clean tone but the distortion is more of an overdrive and is not very powerful (mostly Fender combos).

I like the Mode Four and all but I felt that it's distortion was too muddy and weak. I've heard noting but good things about the Mesa distortion but what about the clean tone? If you can help me in any way, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Fuck a half stack.

With $2000 you can do a hell of a lot more.

Two amps and an A/B/Y box. This is the best solution since you want both clean and Distortion.

$800 should get you a used Fender Twin Reverb in excellent (mint) condition. Frankly, tubeologically speaking, there is no better clean for clean.

Then spend the rest ($1200) on either a used TSL combo or some other combo that is used. There are a lot of combos out there you can get used for $1200 that are so blistering with distortion it isn't even funny. The 60 watt DSL should easily be had in that ballpark.

So you might not have a 'half stack'. Who cares. You will have tone coming out of every angle. Plus half stacks are not really the holy grail unless you have the infastructor to support a 100watt head that is cranking 4 12" speakers...not that two 2 12" combos won't fuck with the neighbors more than they will stand for anyways... ;)

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

I recently purchased a marshall JCM2000 DSL (100W) off ebay for about 1,200$, and I love the sound out of it. I kinda play both ends of the spectrum and both it's clean and gain channels give me that warm and fuzzy. Right now I'm playing a Les Paul classic through the head, and it's got some guts with that marshall distortion. I've also played my strat with a touch of delay and the clean sound is excellent. Just my two cents though, hope it helps.

I agree with Outlaws, you're never gonna be 100% happy with both the clean and distortion on an amp. Give yourself more leeway and find an amp that has the perfect clean tone; Fenders come to mind. Then go out and shop for that perfect distortion (sounds like a Mesa or Marshall is what you want). Then A/B the two amps. You have quite the budget to do this. Plus, you'll look so much more professional and high tech with two amps A/B'd :D

Half stacks are cool but you can get better sounds with the 2 amp setup. You can also do more with your effects, if you use any. Plus, if your having amp trouble at a gig you've always got another to fall back on. I've used both setups but I prefer the 2 amps. The half stack can be a pain to lug around but they look cool.

I'm going to have to second the Carvin Legacy as I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. The clean is the best that I've heard out of a 2 Channel 100W head, and the lead channel goes from minimal crunch to full shread. This thing has tone for days........blows my Dual Recto out of the water!

Rick

I used the legacy 412, and it's possibly the best cab i've used. Carvin is great company, a bit underrated.

Back