Need help choosing power amplifier!! Please help! [/b]

TooHotRecords

Hey guys,
I recently purchased a pair of KRK R6 Passive Studio Monitors. I was completely oblivious to what passive meant so i went a head and bought them and of course I now need a power amp.

All i now about this is that it needs to be 2 channel 130-150w into 8ohms .

I've searched and searched and can't really find anything as I dont understand ohms and studio hardware.

Although, after searching I found the Behringer iNUKE NU1000.
Delivers 2 x 500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 300 Watts into 4 Ohms.

Would these deliver 150w at 8 ohms? :confused:

Any help is so appreciated!
Thankyou :D

I'd strongly urge you to read some impartial reviews on any amp you buy.
I used samson and alesis amplifiers and was less than pleased with the sound.

I much preferred the sound of decent home stereo amps from the likes of Denon or Marantz.

If you've just bought them perhaps you could return them or part exchange for actives?
At least then you know the amp is designed specifically for your drivers and enclosures.

I'd strongly urge you to read some impartial reviews on any amp you buy.

If you've just bought them perhaps you could return them or part exchange for actives?
At least then you know the amp is designed specifically for your drivers and enclosures.

The behringer has pretty good reviews on most websites, it's just more the fact im unaware of power and what will work.

Unfortunately I bought the monitors in Brooklyn and I live in Australia. The postage alone would almost be more than an amp. :(

To answer the question, the amp is rated at 150w into 8 ohms which is stated in the product brochure located at the link posted by the OP.

The distortion is rated at 0.1%, but the specs do not state at what power or load or frequency. That seems a bit on the high side, so while maybe OK for PA (which would seem to be the intended use), might not be so great for critical listening.

Then again, you are not going to go anywhere near maxing out the amp listening in the near field.

Anyway, just my 2c.

That's a PA amplifier -- You'll blow those speakers up just turning it on.

ART, Samson, Alesis -- There are dozens of reasonable amps out there. If you're looking for something a little more posh, look at used NAD units or maybe Emotiva or Rotel. Nicer Denon and Marantz as mentioned also - Can't go wrong there as long as they're not the "cheapie" series.

Also have a look for a second hand Hafler power amp, I have an old Hafler DH-200 running my main monitors and the sound is great. Another option is the old Yamaha power amps like the P-2200, a lot of studios swear by them.

Alan.

ART, Samson, Alesis -- There are dozens of reasonable amps out there.

Didn't mean to sound like a snob,lol. The above is true.

I have no longer use my alesis because I have other preferences, but the speakers themselves make a huge difference and I don't have the experience or knowledge to write off any amps.

Perhaps those amps sound great when matched with certain speakers.

Back