Need help choosing an amp - Fender hot rod deluxe?

hand in glove

Hi There guys,

Alright so my deal is, i'm after a new guitar amp. I've had numerous marshall hybrid and solid state amps, and a few other brand amps around. But I think i'm over solid state period, and am interested in going all tube, but i think i could settle for hybrid if i can't quite afford the all-tube.

The style my band currently plays is somewhat progressive rock and alternative (pink floyd, jeff buckley, stereophonics) so a preferably good/great clean channel is required and distortion at least capable of a decent rhythm tone. I'm going for a big muff for lead roles.

From my research, i've found myself intruiged by the fender hot rod deluxe (40-watt, 1x12) seems to be the go due to its excellence in its clean, not so much distortion.
What are peoples thoughts on this amp, and or is there a better option than this amp?

Am only interested in combos and not stacks, preferably anything that can handle a small crowd which by other means, would be mic'd.

Budget - $800USD give or take, am willing to go second hand.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Last edited:
You'll be pleased

The Hot Rod Deluxe has a lot of what you're looking for. You and I play a similar vein of styles and my Hot Rod was a great amp. It cut through the mix well and had a varied palette that was quite versatile. The brown sound I wanted was available when I really pushed it. It was a great amp with a drummer.

I eventually parted with it because of the extreme volume necessary to produce the full tube effect that I sought. I was using a ProCo Rat and found myself leaning on it to get the desired tone. At that point, I wasn't really taking advantage of the pure tube design that the Hot Rod provided.

At this point, I'm really in to low watt (single digit) combos. I'm curious about the Epiphone Valve Jr and will likely grab one to experiment with. You can always mic it if you don't have the volume you crave.

Is it adaquette in the long haul?

Thanks for your response!

So you say it seems to offer what im after, from what i've seen and heard (played through briefly) i've liked, ney, loved the results. I'm playing through an American Fender 50th anniversary strat, hotrail bridge, but most likely would use the neck pickup if anything on clean stuff. Also playing a customised tele, which primarily will be used for clean related pieces.

What really matters:
Do you think though, this amp is one that i'll, close after the initial purchase, be looking to upgrade, cause most marshall amps i've had i've pretty much just start browsing for a new one quite soon after? Or could i be lead to believe that this amp will offer a tone (and quality construction) that i won't get sick of atleast too quickly? Is the clean channel what really boosts this amps kudos?

I'll be sure to look into that epiphone range also!

hand in glove said:
Hi There guys,

Alright so my deal is, i'm after a new guitar amp. I've had numerous marshall hybrid and solid state amps, and a few other brand amps around. But I think i'm over solid state period, and am interested in going all tube, but i think i could settle for hybrid if i can't quite afford the all-tube.

The style my band currently plays is somewhat progressive rock and alternative (pink floyd, jeff buckley, stereophonics) so a preferably good/great clean channel is required and distortion at least capable of a decent rhythm tone. I'm going for a big muff for lead roles.

From my research, i've found myself intruiged by the fender hot rod deluxe (40-watt, 1x12) seems to be the go due to its excellence in its clean, not so much distortion.
What are peoples thoughts on this amp, and or is there a better option than this amp?

Am only interested in combos and not stacks, preferably anything that can handle a small crowd which by other means, would be mic'd.

Budget - $800USD give or take, am willing to go second hand.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Jeff Buckley is great stuff.

I would look at some older fender amps. I've had my eye on a Fender Princeton Reverb II. Made in the 80's. I had some really good reviews. You can see them for like 500.00 bucks on ebay.

Even at 800.00 dollars you could find some reissues of the old blackface fender amps second hand.

In the end I would probably try and score an older amp though. Most of the time It's easy to find a tech that will work on fender amps.

The traynor amps sound great and very reasonable. I think they make a 40 watt 2x12 combo. Are going for new or used. 800.00 will buy a lot of good used tube amps. Heck, you could get f-50 Boogie for that. Lots of options at that price point. Good luck. Glad to see you are moving to tubes. You won't regret it. :D

hand in glove said:
Thanks for your response!

So you say it seems to offer what im after, from what i've seen and heard (played through briefly) i've liked, ney, loved the results. I'm playing through an American Fender 50th anniversary strat, hotrail bridge, but most likely would use the neck pickup if anything on clean stuff. Also playing a customised tele, which primarily will be used for clean related pieces.

What really matters:
Do you think though, this amp is one that i'll, close after the initial purchase, be looking to upgrade, cause most marshall amps i've had i've pretty much just start browsing for a new one quite soon after? Or could i be lead to believe that this amp will offer a tone (and quality construction) that i won't get sick of atleast too quickly? Is the clean channel what really boosts this amps kudos?

I'll be sure to look into that epiphone range also!

Just keep in mind, once you start buying real(tube) amps you'll probably start keeping them all and just buying more. So don't think of it as wanting something different soon after purchasing, just think of it as wanting to add another color to your artisitic palette.

The style my band currently plays is somewhat progressive rock and alternative (pink floyd, jeff buckley, stereophonics) so a preferably good/great clean channel is required and distortion at least capable of a decent rhythm tone.

Have you played the amp before? The HotRod Deluxe does not have a "great" clean channel IMO. Its usable, don't get me wrong, but it isn't that Fender clean that Fender is famous for. They are good rock and blues amps though.

Outlaws said:
Have you played the amp before? The HotRod Deluxe does not have a "great" clean channel IMO. Its usable, don't get me wrong, but it isn't that Fender clean that Fender is famous for. They are good rock and blues amps though.

Hi There,

I'm quite sure i briefly did play a 2x12 version when i was mixing my friends band, he had one in just for the occasion. Its been a while since i heard it directly, but my initial reaction was quite inviting. About the clean, i read some reviews on harmony-central, the majority of reviews on their would vouch for the clean channel, but dis the overdrive channel.

Thanks all to those who mentioned other amps, i most definetely will check out some of the older fender ones too!

Check out a used Rivera Quiana. It's the classic clean Fender sound and then some. The 55w version will blow any of the Fender Blues line away.

I had a Hot rod Deluxe, and the clean channel was alright, the gain channel was harsh and fakeand buzzy sounding. Also The amp is too loud.

Go to Ebay and get a Peavey Bravo. 25 tube watts. 12"speaker. they called it the "Marshall stack in a box". The clean channel is nice.

I want to get another one.

The old gibson Falcons have an awesome clean sound, I had a 65' you can pick one up on ebay for about $300. They were made by gibson to compete with the fender deluxe reverb, which to my ears have the best clean sound for the poor man.

Back