Need help chooseing studio moniters

jwgeetar

hey all, i'm looking for some studio moniters in the 200 to 400 dollar range---for the pair. i was checking out the Alesis and the Behringer basic models. i am also getting a 30 band eq with the setup.

Sooo, is a flat response what i'm looking for? so i can color the sound with my eq'ing and fx and mix? that can handle up to "how many watts"?? (i presently have a 200 watt amp) I'm old school and think tweeter,midrange, and bass woofer WAS the way to go.(used to be) :confused:

Are these Alesis moniters in my link here good enough? for the price range? i don't care about the $600 to $1200 a pair crap---can't afford it.;)
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ALEM1MK2

thanks....jw

and what subs are you looking at?

the alesis aren't the favorites it seems, but for $199 pair not bad.
Aren't the KRK passives the same price?

sounds like you have a decent amp for the speakers.

most I read say not to use the Eq to flatten the room. I never quite understood it, other than its a phase thing or something. and the fact all the actives use an Eq, even hi end monitors have the eq switches? so I may never understand that.

but don't eq the room with a er....eq.

you may not be able to exactly match the numbers but it gives you a idea of a sound layout...harhar

read Ethan's web page on some basics. my favorite is this one

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 97
Yamaha MS-50's. They're definately not the NS-10's but they're very good...specially for the price tag.

U should be able to get them in combo with the Sub at most dealers...

If you're willing to save up another $100, a lot of people on this forum seem to like the KRK RP8s, although I'm yet to try them out.

Not sure if you only want to be looking into passive, considering you already have an amp.

If you're willing to save up another $100, a lot of people on this forum seem to like the KRK RP8s, although I'm yet to try them out.

Not sure if you only want to be looking into passive, considering you already have an amp.

thanks guys----well, i took the plunge. i threw out the game plan and winged it. i had a great salesslut at Geetar Center to hip me up to the display with all the KRK models plugged in. of course i looked at everything they had but came back to the KRK Rokit8's. i was gonna get the 5's with a sub later but i said, it'd be 2 or 3 months before i got a quality sub.

so bam, i got the saleslut to go $199 a piece with a year warranty for the 8's. i was gonna blow off the warranty but i had a great amped moniter i used for gigs, die on me last year. so i was worried.

Nice speakers for the doe! i know there are better but hey, these Rok-it.
i still need some sort of eq to balance them out, but later.

In a couple of weeks i'm going for the tascam 2488--24 track. then start recording again. i can start to see the light at the endddddddddddddddddd
of the tunnel.:)

yeah nice setup at the end of the tunnel...RP8's and a 2488...

real nice.. it amazes me you can have this setup for $approx 1300...

i paid 1200 for a frkn Tascam 4 track cassette in 1979/80!! thats it a four track cassette cost $1200 in 79/80..

i paid 1200 for a frkn Tascam 4 track cassette in 1979/80!! thats it a four track cassette cost $1200 in 79/80..

LMAO! Yea I had a Tascam 2 track (could be made into 4 track) but it only costed me 190.00. Of course it was the late 90's. Multi-track Minidisc was around and took the place of the multi-track tape. I remember wanting one of those soooo bad....lol

yeah nice setup at the end of the tunnel...RP8's and a 2488...

real nice.. it amazes me you can have this setup for $approx 1300...

I hear ya!!
$1700AUS for a 'shop demo unit' Tascam 246 back in '87.....woohoo!
Thanx Helmut's Music Ringwood!!
The Yamaha spx-90 almost broke the bank a week later!!!

yeah good old 4 track days - had a lot of fun a lot of trouble w/ mine...
...anyways back to the subject.

Any of you folks have any experience w/ Esi og Prodipe monitors?

Right now I´m mixing on a pair of old Sony regular loudspeaker. They sound good but they´re no good for mixing! So I need some regular monitors. I´m thinking about purchasing either the ESI nEar 08 eXperience + ESI SW10K sub or the Prodipe Pro5 + Pro10s Sub. They´re all active. This way I can still keep my Sony´s for refference thru my Rotel amp and use the new monitors for mixing thru the Ctrl.Room out of my mixer.

...but any suggestion what to buy?

best

Dennis b

anyways....the 4 track convo was becomming more interesting...you fucking killed it!

between Trell Blaze,coolcat and ssscientist and guitarer, this thread got wrapped up real sweet.

Now back to the subject.....

Yorkville YSM1p - A pair can be had for around US$400. I've owned mine for a couple of years now and find them to be quite nice.

Back