Need Help Asap!! Please..

JesusFreak

Hello Everyone,

I'm in great need of your guys's and gals opinion's as quickly as possible because in about.....6 hours, I'm going to be laying down about $3600 on gear.

My question is on monitors...now I did use the search engine and did find some pretty good info but considering I'm on a tight time schedule, I didn't have time to sort through all the 16 pages of info so I do sincerely appologize if my specific issue has been covered previously as it is not my desire to make anyone waste thier time.

This studio that I'm building is the first one I've ever done. I've never bought gear before so when it comes to monitors, I have no experience in what sounds like what. I had heard good things about the Yorkville YSM1p's and was pretty set on them. The guitar center in my area doesn't order yorkvilles and they suggested a set of JBL LSR25p. Again, not knowing how to compare them, I don't know which set would be better for a more accurate sound.

So I guess my question would be, for those that have heard both, which set would you recommend. I can order the York's online if I need to so I would like to know before I go and buy the JBL's.

Thanks guys!

God Bless!

If the will let you return the JBL's if you dont like them go for it. Monitors, like mics, are a very subjective thing. Truth be known you can probably make good mixes on any decent monitors the same way you could make good recordings with any decent mic. The only question is will they work well for you and only you can decide that.

JBL is a good brand and they definately wont be crap. You will have to decide if they are perfect for you or not. Of course I still use NS10Ms so what do I know?

Hey Tex,

Thanks alot for your reply. They do have a 30 day return policy so I guess there is some cushion for me. My only concern about that is that it will probably take me 30 days just to get enough stuff down to figure out if they sound good or not anyway :).

I'll probably just go ahead and get the JBL's and if they aren't that great then right about income tax time, I'll get something new..hehe.

Thanks again Tex and any other reply's are still welcomed.

God Bless!

Finally taking the plunge eh? You've been hangin' around here for a bit, so I'm sure your decisions are pretty well informed.

I agree with Tex's advice, and wish you the best of luck, mang :)

Thanks Sean...it's just kind of nerve racking when you're about to spend that much money and then wonder if it's right....I think it's kind of like cold feet when getting married...really big commitment....is it right or not....cost's alot of money...is there something better out there (which there always is....ummm equipment I mean...not my wife)...:)...anyway...I'm just going to dive in head first and go get the stuff and work my way through it...I guess it's the best way to do it anyway...thanks again..

PS..and I really was talking about the equipment and not my wife...hehe...

God Bless!

I admire your determination on taking the plunge and going for the gusto, and that you are fortunate enough to have the silver to pay for it. My initial investment allocation given to me by my financial advisor (wife) was about $35 for a sound card.

That's how I started too ...about 6 years ago. I used the crappy built-in sound card, a $30 copy of Voyetra Digital Orchestrator, and went nuts - even released a demo CD using not much else (eek). Even if I'd had the scratch at the time, I probably wouldn't have had the patience to do the homework. I'm still building ssloooowwwly as $$ allows ...I probably will be for years & years to come.

Well, your decision has been made by now.

There is really no telling whatever monitors you buy are going to sound like in your mixing environment.

Recommendations have been made, and good ones from what I read, at that. I really wouldn't know. As I have no experience with those that are mentioned.

None will sound the same in your listening environment as they did where you auditioned the set.

As with any monitor/speaker, the main objective is to get to know them in the environment where you are mixing with them. Not to forget, is the fact that what you mix from those monitors should be compared with other systems.

Whatever you mix from your new monitors should sound great on every other system you play your mix on.

I fired my financial advisor after five years. Now I make my own audio buying decisions.

It's never been easier.;)

Thanks for the advice guys..I do appreciate it...I did get all my gear and I'll spent a while trying to get to know the JBL's that I got and see what I can do with them..I'm sure they will be fine.

Thanks again guys!

God Bless!

Back