need hand percussion mic advice

liquidgruve

i need some advice about the types of mics to use with latin percussions. i own bongos and i'm going to use them with my denon 1500x dj mixer's mic preamp in my dj setup. i have 2 mic inputs so is it a good idea to use 2 for each on a bongo?

sm57 are common i guess but anything else i should try first?

how about my dynamic vocal mic can i use it for this purpose until i buy a good one? its audio technica dr-vx1.

If the congas are going to be more fringe type of percussion sound, I'll generally use a pair of small diaphram condensors such as the Oktava MC012s. If the congas are to be more prominant in the mix I'll use 1 (if mono) or 2 (if stereo panned) mid sized diaphram condensors (Cad E-100s or AT 4033s) or possibly a Large Diaphram vocal mic. It just depends on how prominant and full bodied you want it.

Tom

thanks for the advice but would it matter if it's a bongo or conga? mine is bongo..

and actually i'm just going to use it to add some live percussion to fill gaps of electronic drum sounds in my deep house music djmix sets which is generally jazzy type of house....

If I close mic, I tend to use an SM57.

However, I prefer to area mic (something like 2 feet away - vs. 6 feet) in which case I use the Octava MC012 (or 2).

I've actually gotten very good results on both conga & bongo with an AKG3000 (if I need the percussion to stand out) - many don't like this mic because it is a little bright on the highs - but I think it really can add a bite to bhand percussion.

I've heard very good results with AT4033 - although I've never used them myself on percussion

Back