Need feedback on latest metal band recording

Bass sounds pretty heavy to me but could be compressed, it seems to fluctuate a lot. It's actually very bottom heavy but might be the genre.

Guitar and drums aren't tough sounding. The guitars really thin, just a lot of crunch. I want to hear the kick a little more too maybe. The band could work on playing a bit tighter with each other. That would help the recording a lot.

Bass sounds pretty heavy to me but could be compressed, it seems to fluctuate a lot. It's actually very bottom heavy but might be the genre.

Guitar and drums aren't tough sounding. The guitars really thin, just a lot of crunch. I want to hear the kick a little more too maybe. The band could work on playing a bit tighter with each other. That would help the recording a lot.

Definately needs tightening up performance-wise, particularly at the start of the song. Are they playing with a click?

The kick needs to cut through like erock mentioned and the guitars are lacking low mids alright..

Man that mix needs a lot of help. It sounds like a source problem to me. As in, everything seems to be tracked reasonably well and things are present in the mix, but the source sound is shit. Those guitars sound pretty bad to me. They probably sound bad in the room too is what I'm saying. The drums sound one-dimensional. It's just a lot of noise all squashed together. Take a step back and re-think the mix or re-track if you can. The sloppy performance just compounds the problem.

thanks you guys love the feedback. That's is the kind of feedback I need to make my recordings better. I have since reworked the guitar tracks to make them sound not so flat. I also screwed up by on the guitar tracks. I had all the guitar tracks send to a bus, where I forgot to turn off the eq. I had the a high pass filter on the eq at 200hz, which killed the sound of the guitars.

any suggestions as far as the drums? I used 6 mics for the recording.
snare - sm57
kick - audio tech pro 25 and reversed wired sub woofer
sm tom - sm57
overheads- at2020 qty 2 spaced pair

what kind of effect should I use for the drums if any?

once again thanks for the feedback

This genre isn't my style, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I'd start with the kick. Get it to where it sounds good on it's own and doesn't compete with the bass. It needs to be clean and punch through the mud wall of guitars and bass without being boomy or too loud. The snare doesn't sound too bad. It could maybe use a small cut around 200hz to get some of the ring out of it and boost a little around 3k to get some crack. Once you get the snare and kick clean and present in the mix, you're almost home as far as the drums are concerned. Also maybe re-think your O/H setup. The cymbals sound dead center. There seems to be very little stereo field with the drums - if any. If you're playing the toms at all, they're not really coming through. The rest just needs to be tweaked to taste. In this mix I think it's the sloppy bass guitar that's fucking up your drum sound.

And yall practice. The intro timing is way off. ;)

Back