Need equipment with high polyphony, low/no latency

naví

Well, I could have also posted this in the newbies forum, but... here it is.

What I have:
- I've got a full-size (88 weighted key) Casio Privia PX-400 (or 500, can't remember exactly off the top of my head). It's got MIDI in/out/thru capabilities.
- ASUS laptop running Windows 7 (I can check what kind of sound card it has after I get home, if that plays a crucial role here).

A couple years ago I got some simple USB-MIDI cable that was complete crap. My computer just didn't read the device, whereas my USB microphone was absolutely plug-n-play.

What I'd like:
- To record "actual" piano tracks, not to sound really arrogant (probably 16 note polyphony), something a bit more demanding than just laying down a bass line and some other background sounds which I'll include, but will be really easy.
- Something with very little latency if possible (I'll be playing a few super-quick riffs with 32nd notes and glissandos.... would that confuse the poor device?) I mean, if the piano tracks are super complicated and important then I suppose I could go into a studio - but the whole point of home recording is because of time and money factors!

I'm asking quite gratefully for some advice on what to buy... I have a feeling I'll need a converter, but could anyone recommend a high quality one for what I have and what I'd like?

(Also, if you have any midi sounds to recommend, throw them in the comments section too! Would be nice to have a classic grand piano sound as well as a few basement honky tonk kinda things.)

Thanks so much!
Naví

Back