Need Cymbals.

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
Hey people. Listen i need some recomendations on what cymbals i should buy. I play heavy metal, jazz, and light jazz. I need to know what brand and type of cymbals i should buy. Please specify on the type of cymbals. Also specify the diffrent sizes on the cymbals .Just give me as much cymbals as possible and then i'll debate from there. thanx a lot

Because I like Zildjian so much, here is their line I would recommend:

Heavy metal: Z Customs
Any type of Jazz: K Zildjian, K Custom, and/or A Zildjian

The sizes are up to you. One thing I would mention though is that a lot of people I know like a 22" K Custom Dark Ride. It's got a full-bodied sound. But again, it all depends on your budget too.

cymbals

Budget dosen't matter! Imma use them for live like giggs. Maybe ill record once in a while but not always. Mostly live tough!

What kind of jazz?

Heavy metal cymbals are easy. You want fast loud with quick decay.
For live work: K customs or Z customs 16" and 18" projection crashes. Ping ride 20", 13" New Beat hats.

Jazz is a whole other story. What kind? Swing? Bebop? Fusion? Big Band? They're all different with different needs.
I prefer to play a modern Bebop jazz with other acoustic instruments, what I call "dark jazz". I use a very dry dark 20" ride and lighter faster crash and splash cymbals. I use 15" light Custom K hi-hats. I am occassionally using brushes and I use lighter sticks (7A nylon). Sometimes I will use 5A or heavier sticks, but the style is with a lot of rolls and grace notes with tip hits to the crashes more than the neck of the stick (occassionally I will wallop them with the neck). I use my older Paiste formula 602 crashes (18" and 20") and a newer Paiste Signature crash (16").For jazz, I really lke the Zildjian rides and hi-hats and the Paiste crashes, but I might also select the Zildjian thin to medium A's for crashes also.
For rock and electric Blues I use my Custom K crashes (17" & 19"), New Beat hi-hats (14") and a Paiste 20" ride that sustains a bit, plus a couple of Wuhan Chinas, a fixed set of 13" hats, assorted splashes, chimes, bells, blocks,etc.
If I were playing Swing or Big Band, my cymbal assortment would probably be in between my other selections or a mix of them.I would probably add on a sizzle ride also.It really depends on the style of playing you do and what you want to hear.
Go listen to cymbals and decide what YOU want.
-Jeff

Well if budget is no concern, you are really looking at 2 different sets of cymbals here. Heavy metal and Jazz are on different ends of the spectrum. Heavier, higher pitched cymbals for metal and lighter, darker ones for jazz are good starting points.

You REALLY need to go to a store and audition many different cymbals...putting ones you like along with other ones to see if they all sound good together. We can all tell you what we use, but that won't really help you with your decision.

Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian, etc....all of their professional lines are damn good. You just need to personally find which you like the best. Best of luck!

Back