need cheap distortion with output boost!

floppsybunny

i'm looking for a stomp box overdriver or distortion with semi-decent tone (at least enough 'drive' to give a decent 'fuzz' sound) but it also has to have a separate output volume, separate from the gain, so that i can use it to give me one-stomp loud distortion, about 1/3 louder than my clean tone.

tonal quality is not as important as ease of use, durability and price (think cheap: <$100).

does anyone have any recommendations?

Guy I know just bought an MXR Distortion+, $70, and it sounds quite good, basically a flat push. Might be just what you want. Alternative: get a EQ pedal, set it up to cut your rythmm channel. I have never had luck boosting with an EQ, but if you set your amp up to solo, and then use the EQ to reduce the output and mids a little, your tone will sit nicely in the mix, and leap out when you bypass the pedal.

how about the good old Ibanez Tubescreamer?

It has Gain, Tone and Level knobs and also a switch for 2 different amounts of overdrive (TS9 and Hot I believe)...

Its really awesome when sitting in front of your amps distortion channel so that's the best way to use it...

Back