need bass advice (Epiphone Thunderbird IV reverse)

Locomule

35 yrs as guitarist
Greets. I am a guitar player who is finally stocking my little home studio and building my DAW.
I plan to buy a bass in the $300-$400 range. I use a wide range of musical styles so I am looking for a bass with decent playability and a tone that is versatile. I have read favorable user reviews on the Epiphone Thunderbird IV Reverse but wondered if anyone might be able to help me out with suggestions.
I plan to DI the bass for now so I am not worried about an amp. Can always use a guitar amp just for practicing. Thanks a lot for your help.

$400 as a top range? Go check out a Fender Jazz Standard. Not the deluxe, or the american, just the standard. I think you'll be pleased.

I have an Epiphone Thunderbird bass and i absolutely love it.

It sounds great, plays great, and didn't hurt me too bad in the wallet.

I highly reccommend the Epi T-Bird bass and would buy another if mine was stolen.

Buck

Hi Loco,

$400 as a price limit is a pretty tight budget for a bass, but as Craig and Gidge mentioned, the basses they spoke about that are available in that price range are decent instruments. The Epiphone Thunderbird is also a decent guitar, but I really don't feel it is very versatile as far as many different musical styles are concerned. To me it has the "hard rock" look and sound and everytime I see one, I think... Nikki Sixx.

But, there's nothing wrong with that, right? :D

Take it easy,

Randall

PS If you do opt to purchase the Thunderbird, you may have enough money to buy a decent used practice amp.

wow

Thank you everyone for all the input. (This place is great, it's nice to be back!)
My main concern is being able to get as many different decent tones as I can out of the bass and from what I've read in Thunderbird user reviews it gets thump or pop, both with nice tones.
The negative aspects of this particular bass do not necessarily apply to me cause I am getting it strictly for home studio use. The Thunderbird is neck heavy with a long scale but I will not be gigging or even standing up so fatigue is not an issue. The other common complaint is the front strap buttons' location doesn't support the instrument very well (and I think I read both buttons are plastic) but again, I won't be lugging it around on stage - and uh shhhh.. I am actually just another worthless guitarist..
Yes, Nikki Sixx has a signature model Thunderbird (seems like I read that he stole his first bass by walking into a store with an empty case, anybody know if a thunderbird fits in a 'standard' bass case? j/k)
Thanks for the help guys. I had already considered the Fender line and may ultimately go that route but so far I have yet to hear from anyone with a Thunderbird who doesn't like it, whereas I have read where a few guys put their Fenders (and others) away after getting the Epi. Honestly, I tend to create heavier sounding stuff so it may be for the best.

here's a tip I read somewhere for any other Thunderbird owners. I personally view my instruments as tools, not holy relics (I repainted my Gibson SG 3 times so far) so I have no aversion to Frankensteining my axes out if the job calls for it. Apparently the front strap button on the original Gibson Thunderbird was located on the back, not the side. A drill, some putty and a little paint may remedy the reportedly ungainly feel of the stock Epi configuration.
Oh yeah, I also heard that most of these aren't setup worth a crap from the factory but I am used to nut filing, etc. I also saw complaints from guys that when changing strings, the bridge often falls off and is hard to re-align while restringing. Jeez, I am a guitar player and even I can figure out to just change 1 string at a time! lol
Thanks guys. Hit me up if you ever need a guitar track for a song.

Back