need assistance with my Amp, Cab, and Ohms

shred_head

I have a Fender MetalHead Amp, found:
http://www.fender.com/support/manual...00_064737a.pdf

Fender MetalHead Amp
Output 550 Watts into 2 Ohms (a pair of MH-412 enclosures), 400 Watts into 4 Ohms (a single MH-412 enclosure)

I also have a Behringer 412S Cabinet (400 watts)

Speaker type: 8 Ohms, 100 Watts
Power rating (mono/stereo): 400 Watts / 2 * 200 Watts
Impedance (mono/stereo): 8 Ohms / 2 * (8-12) Ohms

The cabinet is wired the same as factory (8ohm cab, 400 watts)
the head has 4 and 2 ohm settings

is it going to hurt anything just running my set up as normal?
the amp into the cabinet, with the amp set at 4ohm?
looking at the back of the amp it seems confusing, hook it to my cabinet's left/right, or just mono

please check out the manual and rear pictures of the amp and please help me out

how can i hook these two together without harming anything?

You won't hurt anything no matter how you plug it in.

Just plug your cab (mono) into one of the speaker outputs. Select 4 ohms on the switch (pushed in). You'll only be getting 200 watts of power, since your cab is 8 ohms. If you can get another 8 ohm cab you can plug it in to the other speaker out for a total of 400 watts.

If you plug each speaker out of the amp into your cab's stereo inputs, you may get a little more power - the impedance rating of the cab in stereo (8-12 ohms) is unclear to me.

The only way you'll get the full 550 watts is by using two 4 ohm cabs.

And your link didn't work for me. Here is a working one:
http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/manuals_elec/guitarpdf/MH-500_064737a.pdf

it dosn't matter which output jack i plug into? because it is different labelling on each one,

one says, 2ohms Min Total
550 Watts

the other says:

parralel speaker outputs
see manual

as well 4ohms is with the button out, and 2 ohms is with it in

Both speaker outputs are the same - they are wired in parallel. The label applies to both outs - it doesn't mean that the top one is "500w 2ohm min", and the bottom one is "parallel see manual." It means you can plug in two cabs - the manual gives the power output for different combinations of 4 or 8 ohm speakers, and that the impedance for the cabs cannot be less than 2 ohms (two 4 ohm cabs in parallel) which will output 500 watts (or 550 according to the manual.)

It looks to me like the 4 ohm setting is button in. That's to match the amp output impedance to the speaker impedance for optimal gain performance - it won't hurt anything if the speaker impedance is higher than the amp impedance - it just won't play as loud. So for your 8 ohm cab, it doesn't matter if the button is in or out, but you'll probably get more power with it in. Just try it and see.

Back