Need An Inexpensive Keyboard

Disposable

The only features really I care about are,
Touch sensitive keys and General MIDI output.
I don't need any frills, don't particularly care how it actually sounds...
While I'd like it to sound decent, I dont NEED it to...
If I actually used any of the sounds, I'd likely effect them into oblivion.

And I do mean inexpensive, or something I can obtain cheaply through Ebay.

Disposable said:
The only features really I care about are,
Touch sensitive keys and General MIDI output.
I don't need any frills, don't particularly care how it actually sounds...
While I'd like it to sound decent, I dont NEED it to...
If I actually used any of the sounds, I'd likely effect them into oblivion.

And I do mean inexpensive, or something I can obtain cheaply through Ebay.

I would recommend a cheap MIDI controller to you, however you didn't sitpulate that you desired any pitch/mod controls.

Therefore I recommend that you pick up any Radio Shack keyboard that takes your fancy. No, I'm not kidding. Almost all RS keyboards have MIDI outputs on them and almost all RS keyboards are velocity sensitive. Those are your two main requirements and can usually be had on the cheap.

I just bought a keyboard from Radio Shack for my 2 year old daughter. Model MD-501

It has half sized keys (perfect for my daughter's little fingers) but I can play it too.

Just about any old keyboard with MIDI output on it should work for you. You might find one super cheap on eBay.

Carl

Cool, thanks for the suggestion...
Yeah I'd mainly just be using this to do simple input into my computer for further editing, I am not a keyboard player, but it's easier to just plink around on a keyboard than to hand place the notes in a sequencer. Plus then maybe I'd actually remember what I was playing. :)

Yeah, that seller doesn't have the greatest of Feedback either
So I likely wouldn't get it from them...
But the model is ok?

That M-Audio thing looks like it's a good deal...
I'd only be using it with my computer so I don't need all the Patterns and accompaniments and such.
I've also come to like M-Audio in general.

In your original post you said you "don't care about sounds," which I take to mean you don't need presets or onboard programs. If that's the case, an M-Audio controllers is all you need. I think you can get them for around $99.

I think it's mistake to lock yourself in like that though. The day may come when you do want to play a riff for yourself without turning the computer on, or try playing a part using an instrument that isn't General MIDI to see what it sounds like, etc. In that case, you're just SOL.

I use an Alesis QS6.1 for all my programming, sequencing, and live audio/presets, as well as the sound module for my GM instrumentation (I also have a Yamaha CS1x but it doesn't sound half as good.). There are only, what, 128 GM instruments to choose from if you go with a controller only, but I have 600+ onboard already, expandable by another 128 (actally double that) with an expansion card. (If you listen to some of my songs below, 99% the drums, 75% of the keyboards, and about 25% of the rhythm guitars are sequenced GM played through my Alesis acting as a soundcard. About 80% of the live keyboards are the Alesis.) I got mine used for $325 on ebay and couldn't be happier with it.

The Alesis is the black keyboard on the bottom.
Keyboard_1.jpg

Keyboard_2.jpg

Of course, if you already have another keyboard and only need a dedicated triggering device, that's different. But I'm just saying that if this is your first keyboard buy, it will pay dividends many times over in the future to get something more versatile, even if you don't need the capability right away.

Good luck! :)

--TAC

tacurtis said:
In your original post you said you "don't care about sounds," which I take to mean you don't need presets or onboard programs. If that's the case, an M-Audio controllers is all you need. I think you can get them for around $99.

I think it's mistake to lock yourself in like that though. The day may come when you do want to play a riff for yourself without turning the computer on, or try playing a part using an instrument that isn't General MIDI to see what it sounds like, etc. In that case, you're just SOL.

I use an Alesis QS6.1 for all my programming, sequencing, and live audio/presets, as well as the sound module for my GM instrumentation (I also have a Yamaha CS1x but it doesn't sound half as good.). There are only, what, 128 GM instruments to choose from if you go with a controller only, but I have 600+ onboard already, expandable by another 128 (actally double that) with an expansion card. (If you listen to some of my songs below, 99% the drums, 75% of the keyboards, and about 25% of the rhythm guitars are sequenced GM played through my Alesis acting as a soundcard. About 80% of the live keyboards are the Alesis.) I got mine used for $325 on ebay and couldn't be happier with it.

The Alesis is the black keyboard on the bottom.
Keyboard_1.jpg

Keyboard_2.jpg

Of course, if you already have another keyboard and only need a dedicated triggering device, that's different. But I'm just saying that if this is your first keyboard buy, it will pay dividends many times over in the future to get something more versatile, even if you don't need the capability right away.

Good luck! :)

--TAC

My personal philosophy on this subject is to buy a controller that you really like. A controller with enough keys and an action that really suits you. Then, you could always buy any sound modules that strike your fancy to hook it up to.

I have the Alesis QSR. Essentially the rackmounted version of the keyboard you have. I get to play these sounds on a keyboard of my choice and am not limited to the Alesis keybed. A keyboard that I happen to find a bit mushy.

Carl

Krakit said:
My personal philosophy on this subject is to buy a controller that you really like. A controller with enough keys and an action that really suits you. Then, you could always buy any sound modules that strike your fancy to hook it up to.

I have the Alesis QSR. Essentially the rackmounted version of the keyboard you have. I get to play these sounds on a keyboard of my choice and am not limited to the Alesis keybed. A keyboard that I happen to find a bit mushy.

Carl

I was coming at it from a best-bang-for-buck angle. Buying a nice controller and then hooking up sound modules later sounds like a good plan. I just checked ebay and it looks like you can get aused QSR for ~$200. Add that to a nice controller and it just may turn out to be a better deal that a used QS6.

But do the M-audio controllers have weighted keys anyway? I agree with the comment about the Alesis keys being mushy. (The Yamaha is even worse -- ugh! If it didn't have those magic 70's sawtooth synth sounds I'd have dumped it a long time ago.) Someday I'll get a nice keyboard. . . someday. . .

:)

tacurtis said:
I was coming at it from a best-bang-for-buck angle. Buying a nice controller and then hooking up sound modules later sounds like a good plan. I just checked ebay and it looks like you can get aused QSR for ~$200. Add that to a nice controller and it just may turn out to be a better deal that a used QS6.

But do the M-audio controllers have weighted keys anyway? I agree with the comment about the Alesis keys being mushy. (The Yamaha is even worse -- ugh! If it didn't have those magic 70's sawtooth synth sounds I'd have dumped it a long time ago.) Someday I'll get a nice keyboard. . . someday. . .

:)

I'm not a fan of the M-Audio line for reasons other than the keyboard action. The controls don't suit my taste at all, especially the location of the mod/pitch wheels.

I'm an Evolution man myself. I use my Roland RD-100 for weighted 88 action, but I find that the new Studio Logic controllers aren't too bad, not as good as my Roland, but good enough.

I don't know how much used RD100's are going for on eBay. I also remember really enjoyig the action on the old Korg SG-1s. These are probably going pretty cheap these days.

Carl

Well... I don't play keyboard or piano...
That's why I don't care about anything other than touch-sensitivity and MIDI I/O. I just wanted something to tinker around with, mainly for drum input.
I have 3 keyboards, all very old, with crappy sounds, and no MIDI.
I am a guitar player, not much more. I really don't even need any of those mod wheels and aftertouch or any of that crap... I'll never use it.

Disposable said:
Well... I don't play keyboard or piano...
That's why I don't care about anything other than touch-sensitivity and MIDI I/O. I just wanted something to tinker around with, mainly for drum input.
I have 3 keyboards, all very old, with crappy sounds, and no MIDI.
I am a guitar player, not much more. I really don't even need any of those mod wheels and aftertouch or any of that crap... I'll never use it.
Not even Pitch Bend? That's pretty much the keyboard equivelant of a whammy bar...

Hey Disposable...no disrespect to any of the advice, and I am probably stating the obvious, but if you want to keep things simple consider a new Yamaha PSR 273 (61 full-size keys, 32 note polyphony, touch response) for $157 in the latest Musician's Friend catalog (of course you would have to add shipping to that)........I saw a Yamaha today on special at Walmart for $124 (It was 61 keys with touch response, probably the same model, PSR 273, but I didn't take note at the time)....also about any Yamaha with decent specs (61-full-size keys, 32 note polyphony, touch response, midi in/out) made in the last 5 or 6 years is going to sound decent (not going to sound totally cheezy), the sounds on these "home keyboards" have come a long way from 10-15 years ago........I know you said that sound was not that important, but that is sort of what it is all about, isn't it?....decent sounds can inspire you or take you into new directions....also having onboard speakers is convenient and may encourage you to play more (you don't have to drag out an amp and cable when you just want to noodle around for fifteen minutes)

Seconded...the PSR series are cheaper than some MIDI controllers plus they actually have a few sounds in them (easier to play around with when you don't have access to a computer). The only thing a "newbie" would want that it's missing out on is Pitch Bend which I mentioned earlier...if you don't care about that then you're best bet is a PSR. Depending on what you want in the keyboard, which seems to me like the minimum, don't go for a 273 but go for a 172 and save yourself $40.

Do any of these keyboards offer MIDI presets?

I currently use my Hammond XK2 with two Nano boxes.. the Piano and Synth. I'd like a 2nd keyboard to use with the Nano so I can use the Hammond with the other hand. All for live performance work.

The Hammond allows access to the > 128 voices in the NanoSynth by doing Bank and Program selections. I can set presets in the Hammond to accomplish this.

I'd like to find a second keyboard that will do the same thing, just for the MIDI presets and stuff.

Thanks for all the help guys...
No, I will never use pitch bend,
I likely will get one of them Yamaha boards.
While I don't particularly care if it has onboard sounds,
As I will always be triggering software with it...
It may be nice.

Yamaha PSR 273 - I was looking at this the other day over at Guitar Center.
Looks nice enough to suit my needs.

Like I said I have 3 other keyboards that I can "noodle" around on...
I also have a real piano I can play on if I choose,
So convenience to play isn't my real concern here.

Thanks again. :)

Back