Need advise on a sound module....

DJ Strutt

Hi, im building a project studio at the mo to make mainly dance music (house and garage). Im a bit stuck on a second sound module to get. Ive allready decided on a Proteus 2500, but what else would you reccomend for this type of thing?

Thanks. :)

Have you ever considered a sampler. Many people who compose House trakcs use samplers. Just buy sample CDs made for House music load'em up and off you go maping the sounds to your keyboard or sequencing the sounds through midi.

Then get an Acces Virus B - with evry OS upgrades you get more sounds. I just got mine with over 1000 patches. Also take a look at Waldorf stuff - very dance oriented. What's your budget - without pushing it?

i definitely wouldn't go get a virus for house and garage.. (i wouldn't get one anyway.. most overrated synth out there) nor waldorf for that matter..
getting a sound module is not a bad idea.. the proteus 2500 is one heck of a sound module and you'll find more "housy" stuff there.. more realistic. an access or waldorf synth would really be more recommendable for trance, ambient and other stuff where you need some good ol' analogue sound.

With a sampler and a proteus 2500 i'd simply wait and get to know my equipment. Buying even more won't make you better at making music, it'll just get yo' confused for alot longer and you can allways get some more later. Or else i would personally be thinking about stuff like maybe a Novation Bass Station or A-station. Or a waldorf Pulse..

Under all circumstances, what you need also (if you don't allready have it) is a good mixer and a recording device (like a killer soundcard.. and don't say "but i do! .. i have a sb live!" :D)

Cheers mate, the reason I really wanted to get a second sound source is so that it beefs up the equipment list for potential users of the studio, meaning they will be more attracted to hiring it out. Oh and im getting a 02R and a delta 10/10, so I should be ok there! :)

Anyone used a Triton Rack? Any good?

DJ Strutt said:
Cheers mate, the reason I really wanted to get a second sound source is so that it beefs up the equipment list for potential users of the studio, meaning they will be more attracted to hiring it out. Oh and im getting a 02R and a delta 10/10, so I should be ok there! :)

Anyone used a Triton Rack? Any good?

ok then i would recommend a Novation (Nova/Supernova) or Waldorf synth (Q / Microwave).. Go check 'em out in a store, but beware : don't listen to the presets!!! try and mess with the modulation sources instead..
The quality of the presets only tell you how much time the crew has used on making presets..

and no.. triton isn't the shit really.. Yamaha Motif would be better.. the sounds are imo way better on the motif..

As i see it with creamware : yea.. flexible units.. all that shit.. but people don't come to a studio to sit infront of a computer, they want some knobs to mess with, some sliders and shit.. I know I do..

Access b

I have a Korg Karma, a Waldorg Micro and (TA DAAAA) an Access b....By ALL MEANS, the Access b is the one you want for that type of music. I say this whole heartedly. It will give the the sounds you want, the control you need and, yes AND...it will be the PERFECT compliment for the 2500.

Just and unbiased opinion....

wut's up with all 'dis virus love.. i don't geddid... i think it's a stale piece.. got nice presets, but it's not a synth you can really dig into like the waldorfs or the novations.. nor the clavia foh' dat matter..

The access has great routings a wide but very detailed sound and the possibility to route analog ins thru it (vocoder,..) - and it definitely is a standard in most studios.

struberg said:
The access has great routings a wide but very detailed sound and the possibility to route analog ins thru it (vocoder,..) - and it definitely is a standard in most studios.

both the waldorfs and novations have more routings, more dynamic oscillators and analogue ins.. the supernova 2 even got the most fantastic 40 band :-)eek:!) vocoder i've ever heard..
Maybe it's because i've spent so much time with all of those synths, testing and demoing.. i quite quickly found the virus a limited tool compared to the other synths. (we're talking q, nova, supernova I/II, nord lead 3 and microwave)

on the other hand.. on the virus you can basically just sit down and browse through the presets and find something you like. You have to spend some time on the other synths cause the presets are pretty stale..

uh.. and what kind of music is your studio aimed for anyway strutt?

Cheers for the advice/info guys. My studio is mostly making UK Gargage, which im not sure if your will of heard of or net, do a search on the net and a lot of stuff will come up about it. It consists of a lot of real sounds (saxs, rhodes etc) and dirty big basslines, and some dark sinster stuff and some stuff that is very similar to soulful house but with a more shuffled beat and faster.

Keep the info coming in! Do u reccomend the triton?

DJ Strutt said:
Cheers for the advice/info guys. My studio is mostly making UK Gargage, which im not sure if your will of heard of or net, do a search on the net and a lot of stuff will come up about it. It consists of a lot of real sounds (saxs, rhodes etc) and dirty big basslines, and some dark sinster stuff and some stuff that is very similar to soulful house but with a more shuffled beat and faster.

Keep the info coming in! Do u reccomend the triton?

definitely not.. it's a mix between rom sounds (like the proteus) and a kinda lame sampler (which you also allready got) .. so i'd recommend some V/A synth.. budget?

Every Synth has a unique sound though there are definite catagories. For example, there are the simulated real instruments acheived through sampling or through a combination of sampling and modeling or perhaps FM additive synthesis to create, lets say, a Rhodes sound, like the old DX7. As for the Access, I simply love the sounds. As for functionality and the depth of its programability, I have a Waldorf Micro Q, this instrument has more programing than I can so far handle, I know it is quite a powerful little number. And, quite possibly, its programability does go deeper than the Virus, but... When I am laying down tracks (as I was this very morning) I might be looking for a usable sound to captrue a moments inspiration. I Turn on the Virus, find something close, a few simple parameter tweaks that are infinitely more accesable than the same or similar parameters on the Waldorf, and I and off and running. I now have a decent track preserved from which to work. I can later change the sound, the part or the instrument I played it on but more than likely, I PLAYED THE PART IN A PARTICULAR MANNER BECAUSE OF THE SOUND!!!! In the end, each sound dictates the music and the music dictates the sound. It is a wonderful elliptical cause and effect loop that is the foundation of much of electronic musik...

yeah.. that's why i'm a bit pissed that novation and waldorf spend so much time on making their gear and give shit about making some decent presets.. they're ruining it for themselves really. I'm busy making a soundbank for novation myself so they'll finally be able to offer at least one soundbank of decent presets.. idiots..

Back