Need advice

choy

Hi everyone! just want to seek your expertise and knowledge regarding building a control room. I want to seperate the musical instruments from the my recorder so i want to build a control room.. The problem is sound proofing, i can't make a concrete divider so im planning to make a room out of wood. What ways can i make sound proofing possible or if not limit the sound of band instruments from entering the control room. I have something on my mind I dont know if it will work. Im planning to put inside the plywood divider sandstone place in small bags to compress the space. outer portion il put rubber , fiber glass etc. also im planning to put a window. thanks.

Hi Choy -

It would helpfull if you could tell more about the room your trying to divide. How big a space is it? Is it in a basement, first or second floor? Can you afford ($$ & spacewise) to make the control room a "room within a room"?

Certainly isolating the floor of a control room is as important as the dividing wall(s).

Also, what are your expectations? Is this a rehearsal space for your band where you just want to record some stuff or do you want to get into recording in general?

Cheers
Kevin.

Hello Kevin ! thanks for your reply, Ok to start with, Im not sure about the size of the room but im pretty sure that in can be divided into two rooms fair enough to accomodate 7 bandmembers in each room. the room is not a basement but situated in the 4th floor of a building. i only have a small budget for it. I wish i could make it a recording studio quality room but i only have a few bucks for it so what i want to accomplish is somehow i can manage to separate the band room and the recorder section, limit, compress or soundproof the sound from entering the other room so when the band is recording live i can monitor from the control room clearly the sounds coming from the band room. The question my friend what can i do to obtain my objective? is it possible if i only have a small budget. Thanks again !!!

choy

Choy - this is the simplest way to divide a rectangular room into two. The walls can be single stud walls with insulation in the 2" gap. The doors should be solid core and the window with two panes of differing thickness i.e. 1/4" & 5/8". That should be enough for your needs.

cheers
John

Attachments

• simple.jpg
    simple.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 49
Choy - John certainly has your solution. Check out some of the other posts going now that talk about floating a floor. If at some point you feel like you want more isolation, that may help too.

Cheers & Good Luck
Kevin.

Back